E-mail this image
Then: The first train arrived in Fort Lauderdale on February 11, 1896. In return for parcels of land, the Florida East Coast Railway platted the town of Fort Lauderdale and built a railway station. Flager did not consider the New River community to have development potential, but thought bit might be suitable for agriculture.
Now: A southbound FEC train approaches the railroad bridge over the New River behind the Las Olas Riverfront.