Chef Goldsmith makes her own graham crackers and marshmallows for these brownies and provides recipes in her book. But we went the store bought route and brownie lovers declared these the best they’d ever had.
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably Valrhona Caraibe 66%), chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla bean past or pure vanilla extract
1 cup graham cracker pieces (preferably homemade)
8 large marshmallows, (preferably homemade)
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (preferably Valrhona)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (300 degrees if using a convection oven.) Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment or foil and grease it, preferably with Pam.
- In a small heat proof bowl, melt the chocolate and butter over simmer water. Whisk until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and whisk well. Add the melted chocolate and stir until blended. Add the graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate chips and stir gently until well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread is as evenly as you can (the graham pieces, marshmallows and chocolate chips will make the top look lumpy.) Bake 24 to 26 minutes (25 to 30 minutes if using a convection oven), until puffed and the center still jiggles when the pan is gently shaken. (I think these brownies are at their best when slightly underbaked.)
- Transfers the baking dish to a wire rack and let cool completely before refrigerating for 2 hours, or until cold and firm. Cut the cold brownie into 12 pieces and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes 12 brownies.
Nutrition information per brownie: 332 calories, 55% calories from fat, 20 g fat, 11 g saturated fat, 56 mg cholesterol, 40 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 184 mg sodium, 2 g fiberCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun