Last night during the NBA Finals, Jay-Z debuted a three-minute commercial for the Samsung Galaxy phone and in the process revealed the following:
- Jay-Z is making a new album!
- The name of the album is "Magna Carta Holy Grail."
- The album will be released on July 4, 2013 ... kinda.
- Producers Rick Rubin, Timbaland, Swizz Beats and Pharrell are involved! In what capacity is still to be determined, but still.
- Kanye West was in attendance during this session but wasn't shown on camera. (Jay asks him to "tweak that um, buh-a-bang-bang!" at 1:44)
- According to Jay, his new album is about "duality ... how do you manage your way through success and failure and remain yourself?" ... or something like that.
- Rick Rubin enjoys listening to music and chilling out on the couch. Stars: They're just like us! (0:53)
- Jay-Z believes the internet is like "the Wild West."
- Remember that "Aww-uh" ad-lib he kept doing through "D.O.A.?" He makes that noise in real life. (1:15)
- Going to magnacartaholygrail.com reveals the rest of the information that the commercial leaves out, including:
- The album will be released on July 4 to the first 1,000,000 people who download it via a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
- The album will be released to everyone else on July 7.
- Samsung reportedly spent about $5 million on this whole thing.
- We're about 6 months away from Chingy releasing his new record via Boost Mobile pay-as-you-go.
Want more? Discuss this article and others on RedEye's Facebook page.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun