There was a Lorax made of chocolate and sushi made of Peeps marshmallow candy, but the star of the 19th annual Edible Art Exhibit at Towson High on Feb. 21 was the Cat in the Hat portrait composed of M&Ms.
Jeremy McCordwon Best in Show for his "Cat in the Hat" creation, and also won gift certificates to Rita's Italian Ice, one of many gifts contributed to the show by local merchants.
Rice treats, cake, fondant, graham crackers, icing and candy were the tasteful media for the show, hosted by Towson High School's National Art Honor Society in Towson's cafeteria.
With a theme of, "Oh The Places You'll Go," the show saw many creations following theDr. Seusstheme. Others did not, but that was OK too — the only caveat to the show was that all works had to be edible and safe for human consumption.
After the judging, beverages were served and the crowd took on the task of eating the entries.
Along with McCord, the following are the winners in various categories:
• Isabella Romeo won first place and a free meal from Five Guys Burgers & Fries for her entry, "Dr. Seuss' Heart."
• Hanna Dressel won second place and a $25 gift card to Bread & Circuses Bistro (French Press), for "Lorax in chocolate."
• Jamesy Wood, Grant Davis, Sarah Cai and Ellie Amann shared the third place prize, and a Native American mug from the store, Pendleton, and a $5 gift card to Rita's Italian Ice, for their piece, "Journey to the Center of Seuss."
• Sylvie Hullinger, Caroline Boyle and Maura Pannebecker shared fourth place for their piece, "Dr. Seuss Land," and also received a $15 gift certificate to Italian Gardens restaurant.
• Kyle Blottenberger won fifth place, and a $15 gift certificate to Towson Bootery, for "Cotton Candy Lorax."
• Rachel Harmonay, Cristina Aldana and Mckenzie Moylan earned sixth place and a $25 gift card to Zia's juice bar for their work, "About to Fall/Balloon in a Tree."
• Natalie Schwartz and Malcolm Odogbo won first place and a $25 gift card to 10 Car Pile Up, for their piece, "Sushi from Peeps."
• Alex della Santin and Savana Miller won second place and two tickets to the American Visionary Art Museum for "Angry Birds."
• Rya Inman won third place and a $20 gift card from Plaza Artist Supply, for "Fish bowl."
• Isabel Faust took fourth place and a $15 gift card from Di Pasquale's Café for "Porcupine Pig."
• Ilona Wittenberg won first place and a $25 gift card to Ceriello Italian food, for her work, "Replica of Vertamaus, by Archibaldo."
• Christian Pirnot earned second place, and a meal from Five Guys Burgers & Fries for "St. Basil's Cathedral."
• Katharine Nurminsky and Indy Baskar won first place and a $25 gift card from Plaza Artist Supply for "Chocolate Taj Mahal."
• Kaylie Kitchens, Lexie Kollman and Ashley Allen took second place and a $25 gift card to Tech Lab Photo for "Little Bo Peep."
• Thomas Sorteberg won third place and a meal from Five Guys Burgers & Fries for "Alien and Astronaut on the Moon."
• Audrey Jackson won first place and two tickets to the American Visionary Art Museum for her entry, "Truffula trees."
• Maria Solorzano won second place, and a $20 gift card from The Bead store, for her piece, "Where's that cat?"