Student arrested after fight breaks out at high school softball game in Hampden

A melee broke out between students from two city public high schools after a softball game in Hampden on Tuesday, April 17, and one student was arrested after hitting a responding police officer with a bat, Baltimore City police said.

The fight occurred at a park near the Academy for College and Career Exploration, at 1300 West 36th Street, and involved students from ACCE and Reginald F. Lewis High School, according to ACCE Principal Quinhon Goodlowe, Reginald F. Lewis High Principal Barney Wilson and Sgt. Valencia Nock, a Baltimore City Police Department spokeswoman. They said that a student from Reginald F. Lewis High had been arrested.

Goodlowe said the student arrested was a girl.

According to Nock, a school system police officer assigned to ACCE was gone for the day when the fight broke out about 4:30 p.m., and someone witnessing the fight called 911.

Nock said she was still trying to track down an incident report, but, "We do know that one of the officers was struck with a baseball bat."

The male Northern District officer received minor injuries, Nock said.

When asked how many people were involved in the fight, Nock said, "There were a bunch of them. People in the park (other than the students) got involved as well."

Nock said she did not know whether the non-students "jumped in" or were called in to help break up the fight.

Goodlowe said Reginald F. Lewis students initiated "a verbal and physical confrontation" during a regularly scheduled, school-sponsored softball game at ACCE.

"As students were dispersing, students from the visiting school refused to leave our campus and ACCE students were assaulted," Goodlowe said in an email that she wrote to area community leaders, including City Council member Nick Mosby, in an effort to keep the community abreast of the incident.

"The incident was contained with the help of Baltimore City School Police and Baltimore City Police," Goodlowe said.

Staff members from ACCE and another nearby school, Learning Inc., as well as members of the Hampden community, defused the situation and cleared the area, Goodlowe said.

Goodlowe confirmed the information in that email in a subsequent email to the Baltimore Messenger.

Wilson told the Messenger, "It's an unfortunate situation, one that we're certainly not proud of. We're a better school than that. It's embarrassing to the school and something we will not tolerate."

The two principals offered few details about the fight and referred further questions to Edie House-Foster, a spokeswoman for the school system. House-Foster said in an email Wednesday the incident "remains under investigation by school police and administrators.

"Once we have completed our investigation, school administrators will determine the next course of action based on the (school) district's Student Code of Conduct," she wrote.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad