Don’t miss the ultimate foodie event, The Baltimore Sun's Secret Supper

Turtle rescued from apartment fire on Fifth Street

Firefighters found and rescued one pet turtle in a bedroom fire in a Fifth Street duplex Monday, but other pet turtles were still missing, according to Laurel City Spokesman Pete Piringer.

Laurel Police officers on routine patrol noticed the smoke around 12:30 p.m., Piringer said.

Laurel Fire Marshall Dave Cope said the fire, which caused $180,000 in damages and displaced a family of two, was caused by a candle in a first-floor apartment.

This story has been updated.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad