Girls soccer: Marriotts Ridge puts a tie on River Hill's record

It wasn't a win, but Marriotts Ridge held River Hill scoreless for 100 minutes Monday and walked away with a tie against the league leaders.

"It was a great game," said Marriotts Ridge coach Robin Grey. "Both teams put their hearts out there. Sadly, neither one of us could finish."

For River Hill, it's the first spot on an otherwise perfect county season. The Hawks are now 8-0-1 and Marriotts Ridge is 5-1-3 in the league.

It was an evening of upsets and surprises for other county teams as well. Oakland Mills forced Centennial into double overtime before losing, 1-0, and Long Reach beat a heavily-favored Mt. Hebron squad, 2-1, for its second county win. Glenelg and Reservoir also posted wins.

"River Hill came out strong. They definitely outplayed us for much of the first half," Marriotts Ridge's Grey added. "River Hill was quick, particularly in the midfield. We seemed shell-shocked. We struggled with possession, and even when we did have possession, we turned over the ball. Thankfully, Jenna Bergquist came up with some keys saves early on to help keep us in the game.

"Once we settled down, we got into a groove and momentum shifted in our favor. River Hill's defense struggled to keep up with our speed and often nervously kicked the ball out of bounds. We had numerous opportunities, but could not convert. River Hill's keeper (had two key saves in the end to keep them alive."

Keepers shine, Carey gets win

Brooke Carey made a huge save in the last two minutes of the game to give Glenelg a 2-1 win over Atholton this evening.

The shot hit the crossbar and ricocheted before Carey grabbed it to seal the win. She had six saves for the evening.

Her counterpart, Amy Weinberg also had an outstanding game, with 10 saves.

Glenelg "probably had more possessions and opportunities, but a combination of missing those opportunities and Weinberg's play made for a good game," said Glenelg coach Dean Sheridan. "It was a good back-and-forth game. Both teams worked the ball through the midfield to the attacking ends."

Danielle Burris and Christina Kaminsky scored for Glenelg, and Sammy Creese and Amanda Lyons had assists.

Katrina Macadoff got Atholton's goal and gave the Raiders a 1-1 tie at halftime.

"We came out strong, taking control of the game, but we had a five-minute breakdown toward the end of the half and they scored," said Atholton coach Stephanie Stoutenborough about Burris' goal. "Within five minutes Michele Hart played a great ball up top to Katrina and she placed it in the corner right past the keeper" for the halftime deadlock.

Stoutenborough was not pleased with her team's play midway through the second half. Glenelg took advantage of the breakdown to get the go-ahead shot.

"We got stuck playing a kick ball game with them until the last 10 minutes and we started playing our passing game again, but we couldn't score. We have had the same problem all year. We look great passing and working the ball up the field as we control most of the game, then we get it in the offensive third and freeze."

Lightning strikes Mt. Hebron

Long Reach pulled an upset by upending Mt. Hebron, 2-1, today. It is the second county victory for Long Reach, now 2-6-1 in the league.

Sophomore Heather Glasser scored on a header on a corner kick five minutes into the game. Junior Angelina Rebaza had the assist.

Mt. Hebron (5-3-1 overall) scored on a header off a corner kick in the first half to tie the game.

With eight minutes remaining, Kristen Fawole scored the winner. She collected a pass from Glasser, "took a touch, and got a strong strike as she slid to bring the ball across her body to the far post," described coach Erik Sandersen.

Senior Uzochi Okoronkwo stood out defensively for Long Reach and junior Victoria Simpson "positioned herself well throughout the game as sweeper," said Sandersen. Keeper Courtney Glasser "dealt well with many difficult crosses, particularly in the second half," he added.

Sloppy, but still a win

Taylor Sullivan scored twice to lead Reservoir over Hammond, 5-1. It's the third straight win for the Gators, now 4-5 in the county. But, said Reservoir coach Josh Sullivan, "It wasn't really a refined game. We played pretty sloppy in the first half. I think we were just thinking that kicking the ball and running after it was going to work and it clearly wasn't. We were being lazy.

"The second half we played much better. Possession worked much better and we were able to tack on three more (goals) around halfway through the second half," he added.

Darci Fehr, Paola Rosa and Delaney Reiff also scored for Reservoir.

Sullivan, Natalie Raymond and Lilly Hermina had assists.

Megan Fowler had one save.

Oakland Mills tests unbeaten Eagles

"This was a very interesting game," said Centennial's Steve Baxter after his unbeaten team needed two overtime periods to send Oakland Mills home with a 1-0 loss.

"We lost a tough battle in double overtime to a great team," said Oakland Mills coach Christina Bleivik. "I was very happy with the way my team played tonight."

Mary Anderson, who first entered the game late during regulation play, was in position to get the assist on the game-winning goal by Nicki Mize. "Mary played a high-angled cross from the sideline area and Mize was running aggressively to the ball and was able to get to it on one bounce and head it past the goalkeeper for the win," said Baxter.

"Centennial held most of the ball possession, but Oakland Mills was dangerous on their counterattacking attempts," said Baxter, whose team is now 7-0-2 in the county and 10-0-2 overall.

The Eagles missed opportunities in front of the goal in the first half. "We just didn't hit the mark. (That) could have changed the complexion of the game," Baxter said.

Oakland Mills (2-8 in the county) had its "best chance of the game during a scramble in front of the Centennial goal late in the first half," said Baxter. "Eventually, an Oakland Mills player lofted the ball over our goalkeeper and sophomore midfielder Ruthie Lucas headed the ball off the line to save the shot. Then, we were able to get the clear. This sequence was a huge defensive effort by our team to keep the game tied at 0."

Centennial defender Jordan Coburn had some penetrating runs up the field in the second half, and once hit the crossbar with a shot. Later, on a free kick, Coburn again hit the crossbar but the Eagles did not find the net.

"Gaby Vincent and Erin Yarn really lead our defense all night," said Oakland Mills' Bleivik. "Fern Peters and Nicole Twardowicz had some great shots on goal. However, it was our midfield that stepped up in the second half to give us a better attack."

"We knew we had to win this game to still have a chance at the county title," said Baxter, who followed a suggestion by Nicki Mize. "She wanted to push up more. We discussed our options and decided to push Mize up a little higher to try to get an extra body forward. We love this kind of determination and leadership from our players. The move paid off."

Centennial keeper Katie Donegan got her eighth shutout of the season.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad