Wilde Lake equals Marriotts Ridge, goal for goal, in girls soccer deadlock

After 100 minutes of play, the game goes into the record book as a tie. But with a 3-3 double overtime deadlock against unbeaten Marriotts Ridge, Wilde Lake may get the biggest boost in confidence.

Marriotts Ridge took the lead three times, only to see Wilde Lake rebound each time to eventually force the game into overtime.

"It was a clean, hard-fought match," said Wilde Lake coach Davia Procida. "I have never seen my team play with so much heart and drive. The best part — and this may sound crazy — but we were down and came back three times in the game."

"Marriotts Ridge is extremely well coached," she added. "They are a very solid team."

All the scoring came in the second half, with Marriotts Ridge’s Taylor Hensh finishing off a Morgan Crable cross five minutes into the period to start the Mustangs’ offsense.

Ten minutes later, Wilde Lake’s Brynn Drury put in the equalizer. Drury "had a perfect finish from a corner, something we’ve really been working on at practice," said Procida.

“We definitely learned a couple things tonight,” said Marriotts Ridge's Robin Grey, whose team is now 5-0-1 overall and 4-0-1 in the league. "We've got to learn that we need to play our game from the opening whistle. It took us 40 minutes to get it together. We can't let that happen, especially against a team like Wilde Lake.

“We also learned that we always need to be ready for anything. All their goals were set off of set plays where we weren't organized or ready for the play. Wilde Lake took advantage and it paid off for them."

Marriotts Ridge needed five minutes to take the lead again, with Hensh setting up Alexis Zadjura, and Wilde Lake's Maria Pascale scored on a direct kick with 11 minutes left in the half to again knot the game.

"The play was brilliant. Their girl set the ball and got the shot off so quick (that) our girls were still processing the fact (that) we got the foul and didn't realize the ball had been played," said Grey of Wilde Lake’s tying marker. "Our keeper was still on the far post, directing girls to get into the wall when the goal was scored. It is a great play. I wish we had thought of it."

The sequence was repeated one more time, with Zadjura finishing off a direct kick from Crable with six minutes left and Pascale scoring off a throw in for Wilde Lake two minutes later. "Again, it was another time where we were not paying attention. They took the throw and Pascale was there, wide open at the top of the box, to finish it off," Grey said.

Pascale "was brilliant today," Procida said. "She and Abbie Wright helped control the midfield."

Marriotts Ridge believed it had the winning goal in the first overtime on a shot by Zadjura, but the goal was disallowed.

Crable had two assists in the game. She "could easily be the best player in the county," said Procida.

Wilde Lake (3-3-1, 2-2-1) had been shut out, 2-0, by Mt. Hebron in its previous game and had some motivation to play at the top of its game. But the Wildecats were also hosting a fundraiser for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Foundation.

David Procida, a former head coach at Wilde Lake and now an assistant to his daughter, Davia, was diagnosed with the disease earlier this year.

“Tonight was more than a just game," said Grey after Thursday's contest. "We brought attention to Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and that is what truly matters."

Jenna Bergquist had seven saves for Marriotts Ridge.

Another hardfought deadlock

Mt. Hebron and Reservoir battled through 80 minutes of regulation and almost through two overtime periods before the rain ended the game Thursday, but neither team could find the net and finished in a scoreless tie.

“Both teams played pretty well and each team had a fair share of chances,” said Reservoir’s Josh Sullivan. “I think both had some quality chances off a few corners, but both defenses were strong and really did a good job. Mt. Hebron played a little bit more direct to Suzie Halper up top, but she just couldn’t find the back of the net on a few chances.

“We worked the ball a bit better to feet through our midfield and played a solid second half,” he added. “However, again, we really just didn’t get quality shots off from our attack. We did a great job on our corners and were dangerous on our sets. Both teams battled and played pretty tough."

Reservoir is 4-2-2 overall and 3-1-1 county while Mt. Hebron is 3-4-1 and 2-3-1.

Hawks get eighth

Katie Arensmeier and Sheridan Street found the nets two times each as River Hill posted its eighth straight win of the fall, 5-0, over Oakland Mills.

Michaela Hennessey scored off an assist from Alex Hamer seven minutes into the game and Arensmeier got an assist from Callie Allen at the 31-minute mark to give River Hill a 2-0 halftime lead.

Street scored the next two goals, one off an assist from Hamer. Allen got the other assist.

Arensmeier finished the evening’s scoring, assisted by Street.

A first for Glenelg

Kathleen Mensing and Samantha Creese both had hat tricks to lead Glenelg to a 9-0 win at Hammond on Thursday.

"We had a hard time getting started because of the offside trap, but once the forwards realized they had to be patient, we were able to get them the ball and start scoring,” said Glenelg’s Maureen Hammond. "It was nice being able to play on a turf field. It allows us to pass the ball around and create opportunities that are hard on grass."

Hannah Tolson and Kristen Olive also scored to give Glenelg (2-5 overall, 1-4 county) its first county win of the season.

Mensing and Creese also had two assists each, Olive had one and Amanda Kordenbrock had three.

Kelly Geist had seven saves against Hammond, now 0-6 and 0-5.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad