Centennial girls soccer is unstoppable in second half

In IAAM, Glenelg Country also showcases power attack

A scoring splurge in the second half broke open a tight game as Centennial beat Hammond, 7-1, Tuesday night.

The Eagles, now above .500 in league play, held a 2-1 edge at halftime but took control for the final 40 minutes, scoring four goals in a seven-minute span.

Two freshmen – Megan Oliver and Jesse Dunagen — marked milestones in the win.

Oliver got her first varsity goal on a breakaway off a through pass from Anna Mitchell to open the second half, and added another goal later in the game. Dunagan, in her first varsity game, picked up an assist on a first-half goal by senior Jillian Loeffler. Dunagen played “a good square pass to Jillian's feet to set up the shot,” said coach Steve Baxter.

Mitchell scored the game’s first goal unassisted. Loeffler’s marker gave the Eagles a 2-0 lead but Hammond hit a “nice shot from inside the box,” Baxter said, to cut the margin to one with a minute and half left in the first half.

After Oliver opened the second half with the Eagles’ third goal of the night, Carolyn Eichhorn scored on a penalty kick. Mitchell and Oliver got their second goals of the game and freshman Reese Western, on a through ball from Lexi Mace, wrapped up the scoring.

“Reese continues to create lots of offensive opportunities every game and scored a much-deserved goal tonight,” Baxter said.

Ruthie Lucas and Bridgette Burrell had assists for the Eagles.

Cristina McGuire scored Hammond's goal.

Long Reach holds off hosts

Ana Rebaza and Kristen Fawole both scored to lead Long Reach to a 2-1 win over host Wilde Lake Tuesday.

Rebaza was “at the end of two great chances in the first 15 minutes, one of which the Wilde Lake keeper (Julia Crowe) was able to push nicely over the bar,” said Long Reach coach Erik Sandersen. But it was not until the 33rd minute, after Fawole was fouled about 30 yards out, that Rebaza scored on a line-drive penalty kick.

Fawole scored off a rebound of her own shot four minutes into the second half.

“The next 20 minutes were intensely fought with the Long Reach defense limiting opportunities,” said Sandersen, about the second half. “Emily Bradford had sensational timing, coming off her goal line to thwart some Wilde Lake opportunities. Rachel Kim played a great game at sweeper and Rebecca Naughton worked hard to mark Wilde Lake attackers tightly.” 

Long Reach had a number of chances during a stretch late in the second half, but could not finish.

Midfielders Ann Bonner, Victoria Simpson and Angelina Rebaza had a “great spell of winning clears and returning the ball to the attack, but the waves of attack passed without a goal,” Sandersen said.

With five minutes remaining, Wilde Lake got a direct kick head on from just outside the 18. Maria Pascale was “able to bury the kick to set up a dramatic closing,” said Sandersen. 

There’s “not much to say about tonight's game,” said Wilde Lake coach Davia Procida. “We played our hearts out in the final 10 minutes of the game but just couldn't get that second goal.”

“It is a very disappointing loss, but hopefully we can rebound for a big game Thursday against Howard,” she added.

Crowe had eight saves for Wilde Lake.

Glenelg Country unleashes offense

After getting shut out in a 1-0 loss to Mt. Carmel last week, Glenelg Country School exploded for a 9-0 win over Oldfields Monday.

The Dragons are now 8-2 in the Gold Division of the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland’s C Conference.

Tala Ahmadi, Chloe Lewis and Sammi Weiner all had two goals apiece. Ninah Dawson, Sabrina DeLeonibus and Minahil Choudry had single goals.

Deja Hursey had two assists in the win. Ninah Dawson, DeLeonibus and Lewis also had assists to help lead Glenelg Country to a 7-0 halftime margin.

Choudry  played the first half in the goal but did not have a save opportunity. Catelyn Gamble had one save in the second half.

Peters hits winning shot

Fern Peters scored late in the game to break a tie and give Oakland Mills a 2-1 win over Glenelg Tuesday.

It’s the second county win for Oakland Mills (2-6 in the league).

Rachel Hunter scored on a penalty kick for Oakland Mills about 10 minutes into the game but “we let up and went into a slump the last 20 minutes of the first half,” said coach Christina Bleivik, “and Glenelg got right back into the game.”

Sydney Peirce scored the tying goal for Glenelg on an assist from Amanda Kordenbrock.

Peters’ winning goal came with 15 minutes left in the second half.

“I am very pleased with the way my girls played tonight,” Bleivik said.

Kelly Geist had six saves for Glenelg (1-6), said coach Maureen Hammond.

Capitalizing on opportunities

Marriotts Ridge got two goals from Morgan Crable in a 2-0 shutout over Mt. Hebron.

Crable scored in each half in the win. Her first came off a shot that “lofted” over the keeper’s head with 13 minutes left in the opening stanza and was unassisted, said coach Robin Grey after Tuesday’s game.

When Alexis Zadjura was fouled inside the box in the second half, Crable “sunk the penalty kick, handling the pressure beautifully,” said Grey.

“Much of the game was played between the 18s tonight,” Grey added. “When our opportunities did come up, we capitalized. Mt. Hebron came on strong in the second half with a number of shots, but our defense held on. Jenna Bergquist also came up with a few big saves in the end to secure the win.

“Bottom line, I couldn't be more proud of the effort my girls showed tonight. With the adversity we faced this week with injuries, every girl who could play gave it their all and that is what made the difference,” Grey said.

Bergquist had eight saves for Marriotts Ridge, now 6-1-1 in the county.

Atholton dominates second half

After being held scoreless by Reservoir for the first 40 minutes, Atholton rallied in the final 40 for a 3-0 win.

The Raiders “came out strong in the second half and dominated,” coach Stephanie Stoutenborough said.

Katrina Macadoff, Maddie Boccio and Olivia Healy scored for Atholton, with Kaelin Shaw and Macadoff getting assists in Tuesday’s game.

Sage Mayhew had 10 saves for Atholton (6-2 county).
Howard can’t hold lead on River Hill

Howard scored six minutes into the game but unbeaten River Hill got four unanswered goals to win, 4-1.

Sheridan Street scored off an assist from Katie Arensmier seven minutes after Howard’s opening goal to tie the game and Michaela Hennessey, off an assist from Jen Voyton at the 18-minute mark, got the go-ahead goal.

Lauren Jones scored off a corner kick, with Haily Emrick getting the assist 15 minutes into the second half. Alex Hamer dribbled through the defense to score unassisted with five minutes left in the Oct. 9 game.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad