Centennial football shocks Hammond in overtime, 14-13

Centennial's 14-13 overtime win at Hammond Saturday afternoon became the latest surprise in a season of upsets.

Coming into the game, the Eagles (2-5) had dropped five in a row while allowing 33 points per game. Hammond (3-4), meanwhile, had won two in a row and has averaged 24 points per game this season.

Each team scored once in regulation — Hammond in the first quarter on a 40-yard fumble recovery by Dionte Jones, and Centennial in the fourth quarter on a 1-yard run by Patrick McKinnis.

Hammond scored first in overtime, on a pass play from Tyler Martin to Chris Hall, but the Eagles defense stopped the Golden Bears short of the goal line on the two-point conversion attempt.

Centennial then scored on a ten-yard run by Walter Fletcher (116 rushing yards, 9 tackles), and Nicholas Cooper kicked the ball through the uprights for the game-winning extra point.

Damon Reaves had three catches for 69 yards for Centennial, and returned a kickoff 45 yards. He also recovered a fumble an intercepted a pass.

It was the fourth overtime game in Howard County league play this season.

In another important homecoming game on Saturday, Reservoir (4-3) defeated Howard (4-3), 28-19.

Coming into this week, Reservoir held the sixth spot in the 3A East playoff points standings, with a 4.5 average, behind Hammond (4.83) and Howard (5.33). The top four teams in each region qualify for the playoffs.

Also on Saturday afternoon, Glenelg (4-3) defeated Oakland Mills (0-7), 34-7, and Wilde Lake (4-3) defeated Long Reach (1-6), 35-8.

Wildecats quarterback Spencer Ampofo completed four of his six pass attempts for 76 yards, including two touchdown passes to Malik Jackson (21, 34) and one to Al Rivera (19). In total, Jackson caught four passes for 102 yards.

Eric Handy (74 rushing yards, TD) and Moses Larose each recovered fumbles for Wilde Lake, and Wayne Long (78 rushing yards) returned an interception 28 yards for a touchdown.

Josue Quezada-Perez was 5-for-5 on extra points for Wilde Lake.

The Lightning broke up the shutout with less than two minutes left in the game, when quarterback Steve Norsworthy threw a ten-yard scoring pass to Rob Carter, and Xavier Haywood-Irani followed with a two-point conversion.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad