Bits & Pieces: River Hill title celebration raises questions about storming the court

I decided to catch the 3A East regional final girls basketball game between River Hill and Howard March 1 and what I discovered was mostly good, with one glaring exception. Let's take on the good first.

The intensity surrounding the game was great.

Two teams with everything on the line in terms of a regional championship and a trip to the state semifinals at UMBC this week got to play before a sellout crowd, and that crowd was up for this one big time.

Students representing the two schools on opposite sides of the gym took verbal jabs at one another and I thought that showed great spirit. That spirit was displayed by five delightful fourth and fifth grade students from Clarksville Elementary, who were sitting next to me and cheering for the Hawks.They already know all of the cheers and showed them all off to my delight.

It was obvious from the start that Howard would struggle in this game. The Lady Lions fell behind early and were hampered by turnovers and poor foul shooting. Still, coach Scott Robinson's team never quit and had a season to be proud off with a bright future ahead.

I expected a Teresa Waters led team to prove itself as defending champions. They did that and more by controlling the boards and making the key plays through out the contest.

They deserved to win and they did so handily. There was little doubt after one period of play that River Hill was heading back to UMBC.

There was an added attraction during the break in the action when students from both schools took turns in a spontaneous dance-off on the court and I must admit that, although I qualify now as an old fogey, I saw some great moves there.

Now let's talk about the negative. Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski warned us about the possibility of injury when students storm the court following a game before his team and coaches could get off the court. It happened at this game.

Technically speaking, there was time left on the clock and therefore the game had not ended when the students hit the court in mass, striking at least two Howard players. In fact, some of the students were seated on the court and that should not have been allowed at all.

Some college conferences are trying to stop the onslaught by fining the schools and it is clear that the Maryland Public Secondary School Athletic Administration, in concert with county administrations, are going to have to act to put an end to this nonsense before someone is seriously injured.

I don't blame school administrators for this situation. We can't expect them to hold back the horde. We do have to ensure the safety of every student as a first priority though. Let's put an end to storming the court now before all of the schools around the county think it's the right thing to do.

Glenelg grad succeeding at Marywood University

My wife's family is from Scranton, PA and some attended Marywood College (now University). I have been on that beautiful campus many times since the school is less than two miles from her parents' home.

I am told that a graduate of Glenelg High School is a sophomore at Marywood, studying Criminal Justice and playing basketball for the Pacers. In fact, he is No. 5 on your program. Shane Kellaher led the Colonial State Conference in minutes played, averaging 38.5 minutes per game. Marywood had a disappointing season this year but Kellaher, I am certain, maintains a positive attitude throughout as he demonstrated while a student-athlete at Glenelg. As evidence of that, he was named to the Colonial States Athletic Conference All Sportsmanship team this winter.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad