Perkins patient declared not competent to stand trial in slaying

The former Clifton T. Perkins hospital patient accused of murdering his roommate at the state psychiatric hospital in Jessup was declared not competent to stand trial in Howard County Circuit Court earlier this week, according to state's attorney spokesman Wayne Kirwan.

Vitali Davydov, 24, is facing one count of first-degree murder in connection with the fatal beating of David Rico-Noyola, 22, in the hospital's maximum-security wing on Oct. 21, 2011.

Judge Lenore R. Gelfman on Tuesday found Davydov not competent to stand trial following the testimony of forensic psychiatrist Dr. Tyler Hightower, who told the court that Davydov appeared delusional and to be hearing voices, Kirwan said.

According to Kirwan, Hightower evaluated Davydov on Oct. 26, 2012, and reported that Davydov displayed tendencies of schizophrenia and paranoia, and, although he seemed cognizant of the workings of the court system, was not complying with his treatment.

Kirwan said Hightower concluded that she found Davydov to be a danger to himself and others, and as a result recommended he be found not competent to stand trial.

Davydov was admitted to Clifton T. Perkins after pleading guilty in 2007 to killing a Montgomery County psychologist in 2006, although he was found to be not criminally responsible, according to The Washington Post

The victim in the Perkins death, Rico-Noyola, was in the hospital awaiting a November 2011 competency hearing in the murder trial of his mother, who was killed three years earlier in Anne Arundel County.

According to charging documents, at 2:24 p.m. on Oct. 21, 2011, Davydov walked out his hospital room and told the nurse, "My roommate tried to rape me, and I beat him up."

The nurse saw a scratch on his neck and blood on his hands.

When the nurse entered the room, she found Rico-Noyola unresponsive, laying face down in a pool of a blood.

He was pronounced dead approximately a half-hour later.

According to Kirwan, under the law, a new evaluation must be submitted to the court every six months. However, Judge Gelfman ordered Davydov be reevaluated every 30 days, and that accompanying reports be submitted to the court on a monthly basis.

Because of that, Davydov's Feb. 4 trial date has not yet been postponed.

Davydov is currently being held at Clifton T. Perkins, and the hospital has increased the number of staff members around him for security reasons, Kirwan said.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad