Centennial girls soccer wins, again

With playoffs just around the corner, Centennial seems to have turned the corner.

The Eagles beat Glenelg for their fifth win in the last six games and fourth straight.

“We tried to play the style that best suits our team and managed to pull out a 3-1 win,” said Centennial coach Steve Baxter.

“Both teams played a great game,” said Glenelg coach Maureen Hammond. “The difference was their shots went in and ours didn't.”

Baxter said, “The poor field conditions were a huge factor in the game.  It was very difficult to connect passes and get any flow to the game.”

But 10 minutes into the game, hosted by Glenelg, Carolyn Eichhorn got a pass from Darby Sinunu and hit “another well struck shot from outside the corner of the 18” for the game lead.

Eichhorn has “had an amazing season,” Baxter said about his defender who has now scored in five straight games and has six goals and three assists this season for Centennial, now 5-5-1 overall and 5-3 in the county.

About six minutes later, Reese Western crossed to the far post and Jesse Dunagan, a recent call up to varsity, redirected the cross for the 2-0 lead. “Jesse made a very strong run on the weakside to get into position to score. It was a great effort on her part to put herself in position to get on the end of that cross,” Baxter said.

Glenelg’s Hannah Tolson set up Kayla Renehan less than two minutes later to make the game 2-1 at the half.

Western, unassisted, put Centennial’s final goal on the board in the second half.

“Then, we went back to a more defensive approach and held on for the win. This was another great team effort and well deserved win,” Baxter said.

Lindsay Davis had five saves in goal for Centennial. Her counterparts, Kelly Geist and Lindsey Mazer, had two each for Glenelg.

‘Best’ soccer of season for Wilde Lake

Wilde Lake is “back on track!” said coach Davia Procida following a 3-1 win over Howard.
“It took us about 10 minutes to get used to the turf again, but once we found our rhythm we got rolling,” she said Thursday.

Alli Mallo set up Brynn Drury with a cross for Wilde Lake’s first goal. But four minutes later, “we had an accidental handball outside the 18, and with (keeper) Julia Crow staring directly into the setting sun,” said Procida.

Emma Bruzdzinski scored on Howard’s free kick to tie it up, 1-1.

But the second half belonged to Wilde Lake. Fifteen minutes in, Carliann LaGuierre, who had just moved up to forward from her starting back position, used “her unbelievable speed” to catch up to a ball sent by Maria Pascale and placed a “textbook, on-the-ground shot” to give Wilde Lake a 2-1 lead.

Wilde Lake struck again, four minutes later. Rachel Lazris sent a cross through the box and Mary Kate Toole was in the right place to volley it in for the final goal of the game.

Crowe had seven saves, including two corner kicks and a free kick late in the game.

“I am very proud of the team. They really came together and it is the best soccer we have seen them play this year,” Procida said. She praised the play of Sarah Hulit, Grayson Corbett, Becca Riley, Kate Glaros and Abbie Wright.

Getting even in rematch

Indian Creek turned the tables on the division-leaders Wednesday, handing Glenelg Country School a 3-1 loss on Wednesday.

Deja Hursey got the only goal for Glenelg Country and teammate Minahil Choudry saved four goals.

Glenelg Country, still in first place in the C Gold Division of the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland with a 8-3 record, had shut out Indian Creek, 3-0, earlier in the season.

But Indian Creek had the advantage in the rematch and held onto a 3-1 halftime margin for the win. The Crownsville team boosted its record to 5-3-1 and remains in second place behind Glenelg Country.

Last goal wins for Long Reach

With about one minute remaining, Ana Rebaza got her 10th goal of the season to break a tie and give Long Reach a 4-3 win over Mt. Hebron Thursday.

Heather Glasser assisted on the winning goal.

“The moment capped a string of games in which Ana has played incredible soccer, displaying high level dribbling, passing and finishing,” said Long Reach’s Erik Sandersen.

In a game of give and take, Mt. Hebron struck first and early, scoring seven minutes into the game.
Rabaza tied the game three minutes later on a pass across the middle from Kristen Fawole.

Mt. Hebron regained the lead three minutes before halftime. “We were slow to close on their shooting opportunities and they did a great job finishing on some strong strikes from distance,” Sandersen said.

But in the final seconds of the first stanza, Long Reach’s Victoria Simpson floated a direct kick into the goal mouth from 35 yards out to even the game 2-2 at the half.

Three minutes into the second half, Glasser finished off a corner kick after Angelina Rebaza played the corner into a scrum in front of the net. Long Reach held that lead until the four-minute mark when the Vikings pushed across a loose ball in the box. That set the stage for Ana Rebaza’s game-winner.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad