Planet Carroll, a group composed of students, educators and activists, will host a series of events the week of April 16-21 centered around Earth Day.
The activities, "Planet Carroll: Our Environmental Future?," have been organized by students and faculty at McDaniel College and Carroll Community College, in conjunction with local environmental organizations.
The week of activities is designed to educate Carroll County citizens about climate change, growth and development and water quality issues. The schedule includes:
• Monday, April 16 — a Business and Career Day at the Decker College Center, McDaniel College, 2 College Hill, Westminster, 4-6 p.m.; as well as a Recycling Art Show, in the Ensor Lounge, also at McDaniel College, 6-9 p.m.
• Tuesday, April 17 — Earth Day activities in the Great Hall, at Carroll Community College, 1601 Washington Road, Westminster, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Activities are scheduled to include a hybrid/electric car demonstration, a plant giveaway, carbon and nitrogen footprint information, water testing, informational booths and movies.
• Wednesday, April 18 — an "Energy Event with BGE," will be held at Carroll Community College, 6:30-7:30 p.m., immediately followed by screening of film,"Cool It."
• Thursday, April 19 — Carroll Hospital Center Earth Day Event , Main Lobby, Carroll Hospital Center, 200 Memorial Ave., Westminster, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. This event includes vendors on site to discuss ways people can make changes at work and in their home to help save the planet by being more environmentally-friendly. Also, residents can bring documents to be shredded, and turn in any used batteries for disposal. The hospital will also discuss ways it is "going green," and there will be green-themed door prizes. Also on Thursday will be a film showing and discussion, "No Impact Man," at Carroll Community College, 7 p.m.
• Friday, April 20 — a concert will be held at Carroll Community College, 7 p.m., sponsored by Waste Not Carroll and Sustainable Living Maryland.
• Saturday April 21 — Keynote address and panel discussion, held in the Decker center at McDaniel College, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The panel discussion will focus on water quality issues, growth and climate change issues. In addition, Boy Scout Venturing Crew members will have sustainability environmental displays outside the auditorium.
• Sunday April 22 — on Earth Day, there will be a tree planting with Boy Scout Troop 395, held at Freedom Park, Sykesville, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
All of the events are free and open to the public. For more information, go to planetcarroll.webs.com.