Four arrested in September death of man beaten in Carroll County bar

In a case that stretched from Carroll County to Frederick County to Washington County, four suspects have been arrested and charged in the death of a man injured in a bar fight in Keymar.

Maryland State Police troopers on Saturday, Jan. 7 arrested four suspects in connection with the death of Craig Myers, 26, of Frederick County, who died Sept. 2 at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he had been undergoing treatment after he was injured a bar fight on Aug. 28.

Police said those arrested are John Robey, 52, and his two sons, Jonathan Robey, 20, and Thomas Robey, 22, all of the 9800 block of Crossfield Road, Hagerstown. Each was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, first-degree assault and second-degree assault.

Also arrested was Michael "Hank" Grimes, 48, of the 11000 block of Woodsboro Creagerstown Road, Woodsboro, police said. He is charged with manslaughter and second-degree assault.

Police said the investigation began at about 9:15 p.m. on Aug. 28, when troopers from the Westminster Barrack were dispatched to Crossroads Inn, on Middleburg Road, Keymar, for a person described as being unresponsive.

When troopers arrived, they found Myers injured, and he was flown by a state police helicopter to Shock Trauma. Police said their investigation determined Myers had been involved in an altercation with one or more people in the bar, leading to a physical assault.

After Myers' death, the state police Homicide Unit assumed the lead on the investigation, and an autopsy determined Myers died from blunt force trauma. The death was ruled a homicide.

Police said investigators identified the Robeys and Grimes as the ones they believe assaulted Myers. State homicide investigators worked with the Carroll County State's Attorney's Office, and evidence was presented to a Carroll County grand jury.

On Jan. 5, the grand jury handed down the indictments, and troopers from the Homicide Unit, the State Apprehension Team, the Special Tactical Assault Team Element and the Westminster and Hagerstown barracks served the warrants on Jan. 7.

All four were arrested without incident, according to police, and were taken to the Carroll County Detention Center, where they are being held without bond.

Kevin E. Dayhoff contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad