Driver who hit utility poles on Edmondson Avenue Friday morning taken to Shock Trauma with serious injuries

The driver of a pickup truck that struck two utility poles and the retaining wall in front of a funeral home on the 1600 block of Edmondson Avenue just after 2 a.m. Friday caused numerous residences to lose power.

The retaining wall at the entrance of Sterling-Ashton-Webb-Witzke Funeral Home of Catonsville was destroyed.

Rachel Lighty, a spokeswoman for Baltimore Gas & Electric, said 230 customers lost power as a result of the accident.

Baltimore County police identified the driver of the 2004 Chevrolet 2500 as Ronald Lee Gurnsey Jr., of the 100 block of Hillside Road in Woodlawn.

Gurnsey, 28, was taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center with serious injuries, police said.

Police said Gurnsey was at fault and charges are pending.

At noon on Friday, a half-dozen BGE trucks lined Edmondson Avenue at the site of the accident while workers repaired the lines.

Lighty said power should be restored by early Friday afternoon.

David Cummings, who lives in the area, said he was without power for several hours before it came back on at around 12:15 p.m. on Friday.

Cummings, who has lived at the corner of Smithwood Avenue and Edmondson Avenue near the entrance to the funeral home for about a year, said he awoke from the noise of the accident.

Cummings said he went out to his porch when he heard an explosion from one of the poles.

He said he saw a truck with a Westview Roofing Company logo on its door and called out asking if everyone was okay.

He said he heard, "Everything's fine. I already called the police. Don't come over here."

A man got out of the truck, Cummings said, and walked west on Edmondson Avenue toward North Rolling Road.

Cummings said he and a neighbor followed the man, who broke into a jog then a run, at a distance of about 40 yards.

The pursuit continued until Cummings saw the man veer off near Edmondson Avenue's intersection with North Rolling Road.

Cummings said he peered down the road, didn't see anyone and assumed the man had hidden.

After he saw two police cars and spoke with the officers, Cummings said he discontinued his pursuit.

By the time he returned home, he said police had already arrested a man.

This story has been updated.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad