Anyone who loves German music and a traditional menu of sour beef with dumplings, brauts, sausage, red cabbage, potato salad, desserts and hearty beverages should stop by Oktoberfest in Ascension Church's Brewer Hall, 4601 Maple Ave Saturday.
The Oct. 8 event, which also features wheels, games and a raffle, is set for 6-9 p.m.
Tickets $25 with a cash bar available.
Call the parish office at 410-242-2292 to reserve seats.
• Savor hearty he-man fare at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11, when Halethorpe-Relay's United Methodist Men gather for a homestyle supper and fellowship time. The meal costs $4.50.
Reserve your place through Don at 410-242-5918.
• Betty Cain's crew of seasoned chefs dish up yummy, free suppers at Lansdowne United Methodist Church 5-6 p.m. Wednesdays, Oct. 12 and 26. No reservations. Casual attire. Tell your neighbors.
For menu tidbits, call 410-242-9156.
• Our Savior Lutheran Church's Pastor Kristi Kunkle helps debunk myths surrounding "Jonah's Whale Tale" Thursdays, Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, at 6:30 p.m., 141 Laverne Ave. Novices welcome. Free.
Reel in particulars at 410-242-2141.
• Kids Bible Club for ages 5-12, "Journeys Through Exodus," Fridays Oct. 7, 21, 28, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in Arbutus United Methodist Church, 1201 Maple Ave. Awesome narratives, games, crafts, music and treats. Free.
• "The Jesus Creed" continues 7 p.m. at Halethorpe-Relay United Methodist Church, 4513 Ridge Ave. The Rev. Claire Fiedler leads this study and welcomes inquiring minds Mondays, Oct. 10, 17, 24.
Talk to her at 410-242-5918.
• Early birds may sip hot coffee and savor selected Bible passages with Deacon Paul Gifford at 8:30 a.m. Thursdays in St. Clement Catholic Church, 2700 Washington Ave.
Call him at 410-242-1025.
Shop and save
• Lansdowne United Methodist Church hosts a Bargain Bonanza Friday, Oct. 7, 5-8 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 8, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., 114 Laverne Ave.
Household goods, clothing, decorative items and more. Light lunch fare. Homemade jams and baked confections.
Rent a table for $10 and sell your own treasures.
Call Betty Cain at 410-242-9156.
• Hop on the bus with the St. Clement Sodality and check out the discounted items at the Vanity Fair outlets Sunday, Oct. 23, 8:30 a.m. departure. Free tote bag with packets of store coupons.
Eileen Kus takes reservation at 410-859-0988.
• Southwest Emergency Services' thrift shop is open weekdays, 9-11:30 a.m., at 1201 Maple Ave. Donations received help meet the requests of neighbors in need. Prices rival the best of flea mart finds.
Stop by or all 410-247-8154.
• Hope Presbyterian Church's crafty ladies lead a Christmas card crafts class from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 8, at 4748 Shelbourne Road. Materials and snacks provided for a small charge.
Call Carole George or Booty Crough, 410-247-4673, for snippets of information.
• An autumn bazaar and flea market will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, at Violetville United Methodist Church, 3648 Coolidge Ave.
A book nook, baked goods table and candies are highlights.
Light lunch fare available. Spaces rent for $10.
Call Joan Kuba, 443-683-0872, or Margaret Higdon at 410-528-9675 to sell your wares.
This and that
• Dr. Tom Little will conduct a six-week prayer seminar in St. Clement Church, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6.
• Paper Shredding Day is scheduled 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, in Brewer Hall.
For a $10 donation, dispose of your important documents and papers while benefiting a Girl Scout trip to Savannah.
Call Theresa at 410-247-8623.
• Historic photos, recipes, news clippings, diaries and documents that provide insights into Our Savior Lutheran Church's 120 years in the Lansdowne area are sought.
If you have any to share, call Pastor Kristi Kunkle at 410-242-2141.