Don’t miss the ultimate foodie event, The Baltimore Sun's Secret Supper

California woman to serve 12-year sentence for rape of Bel Air boy, 13

A California woman was sentenced to serve 12 years in prison for the rape of a 13-year-oldBel Air boy she met while playing a game on X-Box Live.

Rachel Ann Hicks, 37, of the 21000 block of Osterman Road in Lake Forest, Calif., was indicted in March on two counts of second-degree rape and one count each of second-degree sex offense and second-degree assault.

Hicks pleaded guilty June 2 to a single count of second-degree rape.

Harford County Circuit Court Judge William O Carr sentenced Hicks Wednesday to the maximum of 20 years before suspending eight years of that sentence. She will serve 12 years in the Maryland Division of Corrections and serve five years of supervised probation upon release. As conditions of her probation, she is ordered to have no contact with the boy or his family and to have no unsupervised contact with anyone younger than 18, according to a release from the Harford County State's Attorney's Office.

She is also ordered to undergo sexual offender treatment and register as a sex offender for the rest of her life.

"We have an obligation to protect our boys from on-line solicitation and on-line predators in the same way we protect our girls," Prosecutor Diane Adkins Tobin said at sentencing, according to the release.

The boy's father said during a victim impact statement that his son was manipulated into trusting Hicks and she took advantage of him, physically and mentally abused him, and devastated the family by sneaking into their home while the family slept and sexually abusing their child, according to the release.

Hicks and the boy met while playing X-Box Live in September 2010.

The two of them discussed his age and activities in the seventh grade, then the relationship progressed to telephone conversations and text messages. During these conversations, she told the boy she was 23 years old.

For the Thanksgiving holiday, Hicks drove from California to Florida to visit relatives and on her way back, stopped at the boy's home in Maryland during the early hours of Nov. 27, 2010 to visit him.

That night, while the family was asleep, the boy let her into the home and the two went to his room, played video games and engaged in sexual acts, including intercourse.

The boy's father found the text messages on the boy's phone and took the case to the Harford County Child Advocacy Center. Hicks later admitted to the boy's father over the phone that she met the boy through the game and engaged in sexual relations with the boy.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad