Reverse waiver hearing for Abingdon teen charged as adult with rape is Monday

A trial scheduled to begin earlier this week for a 17-year-old Abingdon teenager charged with second-degree rape was postponed, but a reverse waiver hearing will be held next week.

The criminal jury trial for Kyle Burnett Reddish, of the 200 block of Kensington Parkway, was scheduled for Monday, but it was postponed, according to online court records. Another hearing, on a petition from his lawyers for Reddish to be tried as a juvenile instead of an adult, will be held Monday morning in Harford County Circuit Court in Bel Air.

Reddish is charged with unnatural or perverted practice, second-degree assault, fourth-degree sex offense, third-degree sex offense, two counts of second-degree rape and two counts of second-degree sex offense.

The alleged incident dates to Sept. 17 of last year, the day after Reddish kicked a game-winning field goal for Patterson Mill High School in a football, according to earlier stories published in The Aegis.

Harford County Sheriff's deputies were initially notified on Sept. 18 of a 14-year-old girl transferred from a Harford County hospital to Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson for genital trauma and bruising, according to charging documents.

The girl told police she had been drinking the night before and her sister got them a ride home, where she went to bed fully clothed. She said she remembered Reddish entering the room and allegedly raping her, according to charging documents.

In charging documents, the young girl said she couldn't speak or move and tried to tell Reddish to stop but wasn't sure if the words came out. She added that she couldn't defend herself because of the excessive amount of alcohol she drank.

Later, the sister checked on her and told police she saw Reddish allegedly having sex with the girl when she wasn't moving and said she left the room, according to charging documents. The girl's father also said he came home around 12:10 a.m. and found Reddish allegedly naked in the girl's room.

It was after Reddish left the house that the father realized his daughter was lying unconscious on the bed covered by a blanket, according to charging documents. She could not explain what happened to her until later in the afternoon.

The girl's mother, who lived in Pennsylvania at the time, came to the Abingdon home where the girl lives with her father and stepmother and took her first to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center around 6 p.m. and later to GBMC around 10:30 p.m., according to charging documents.

Initially, Harford County State's Attorney Joseph Cassilly had said he did not think Reddish would be charged as an adult in the incident, but a sheriff's offices spokesperson later said Reddish would be because of the "seriousness" of the charges.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad