Man twice convicted of sex crimes gets two consecutive life sentences

A Forest Hill man, twice convicted of sex crimes, was sentenced Monday to two consecutive life sentences for the violent sexual assault against an Aberdeen woman.

Anthony Eugene Robinson, 46, of the 1200 block of West Jarrettsville Road in Forest Hill, was indicted in July 2010 on charges of first-degree rape, second-degree rape, two counts of third-degree sex offense, second-degree assault, false imprisonment and kidnapping.

In April, a jury found Robinson guilty on both counts of third-degree sex offense, kidnapping, second-degree assault and false imprisonment.

Around 3 a.m. on July 11, 2010 the victim, then 24-years-old, was stranded outside the Aberdeen 7-Eleven when Robinson, who she knew only by a nickname, offered her his phone.

The woman accepted the offer, but when she was standing next to his vehicle he pushed her inside and drove her to a secluded area in Harford County where he sexually assaulted her.

Robinson was charged several days later. At the time, police said Robinson was also a person of interest in the rape of a 40-year old Edgewood woman that took place several days earlier in Edgewood, but he was never charged in connection with that attack.

"He was a person of interest, but never criminally charged," Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Marts said Tuesday. "I think we erred on the side of seeing what happened in this case."

Robinson was convicted in 1996 of second-degree rape and attempted second-degree rape and was already on the sex offender registry at the time of the July 11 attack. Because of his previous convictions for rape and another conviction for robbery, the state filed for enhanced penalties and mandatory time for a crime of violence.

The Aberdeen woman gave a victim impact statement at Monday's sentencing, saying, "I still have nightmares to this day….but within the last few weeks I have come to realize how strong a person I am. I hope he (Mr. Robinson) rots in jail for the rest of his life," according to a release from the Harford County State's Attorney's Office.

On Monday, Harford County Circuit Court Judge Emory Plitt Jr. imposed life sentences for each count of third-degree sex offense and an additional 25 years without parole for kidnapping. The lesser charges of false imprisonment and second-degree assault were combined with the more significant charges for the purpose of sentencing.

"He got the maximum," Marts said, later adding, "I was very satisfied with the case. I basically asked the judge, given his background and record, that we aren't safe as a society with him on the streets, and to impose the maximum sentence."

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad