Abingdon boy accused in alleged rape of girl, 14

A 16-year-old Patterson Mill High School football star has been charged as an adult in connection with the alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl in her home in Harford County last weekend.

Kyle Burnett Reddish, of the 200 block of Kensington Parkway in Abingdon, was charged last Wednesday with second-degree rape, second-degree and third-degree sex offense, second-degree assault and sodomy.

The alleged assault took place the day after Reddish kicked the game-winning field goal against Bel Air High School.

Reddish was arrested last Wednesday. He was released Thursday on $50,000 bond, according to the online state court database.

Reddish was charged as an adult because of the "seriousness of the crime," Monica Worrell, public information officer for the Harford County Sheriff's Office, wrote in an e-mail Friday.

Worrell referred all other questions to Harford County State's Attorney Joseph Cassilly, who confirmed the decision to charge Reddish as an adult was based on the seriousness of the charges. Cassilly declined to comment on specific details when contacted Friday.

According to charging documents, the Harford County Sheriff's Office was notified Sunday, Sept. 18, of a 14-year-old girl transferred from a Harford County hospital to Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson with genital trauma and bruising.

The girl told police she had been drinking heavily and vomited the night before, Saturday, Sept. 17, so her sister got them a ride home, according to charging documents.

The victim's sister put the victim in bed, fully clothed, and went to the basement with several boys to listen to music, according to charging documents.

The victim said she then remembered Reddish entering her room and allegedly raping her.

She said she couldn't speak or move and tried to tell him to stop, but wasn't sure the words came out, according to charging documents. She said she couldn't defend herself because of the excessive amount of alcohol she had consumed, according to charging documents.

At some point during the night, the victim's sister checked on her and told police she allegedly saw Reddish having sex with her sister while she wasn't moving, according to charging documents.

The girl said her sister looked unconscious and she " 'freaked out' and left the room," according to charging documents.

The victim's father came home at about 12:10 a.m. Sunday and allegedly found Reddish naked in the girl's room, according to charging documents. Reddish left the house, the charging documents state, after which the father realized his daughter was lying unconscious on the bed covered by a blanket.

According to the charging documents, the victim was unable to explain what had happened to her until later that afternoon.

The victim's mother, who lives in Pennsylvania, came to the home in Abingdon, where the victim lives with her father and stepmother, and took her daughter to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air at about 6 p.m., and then to GBMC around 10:30 p.m., according to charging documents.

The charging documents do not give the address where the alleged rape occurred or where the drinking took place.

"I don't know that, as a matter of fact, that was a question I had for the prosecutor this morning," Cassilly said Tuesday about where the kids were drinking and how they got the alcohol.

Reddish was not in uniform, nor did it appear he was at the football game this Monday, at least in part because he had been hospitalized following an assault Monday, Sept. 19, less than 36 hours after the alleged rape. Patterson Mill's football roster lists Reddish as being 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighing 140 pounds. The Huskies lost, 20-0, in Perryville. After the game, Huskies' Head Coach Josh Mason declined to speak with the press.

There was an assault at the school Sept. 19, but the Harford County Sheriff's Office could not confirm whether that incident involved Reddish or the rape victim's brother.

The Patterson Mill school resource officer rushed to Technology Alley at the school to find the victim on his hands and knees with blood on his face, arm and hand, according to the police report.

The young man's face and forehead were swollen and he was taken to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center for treatment, according to the report.

The sheriff's deputy reviewed camera footage and saw nearly out of camera range another student come toward the boy, lift him up and slam him to the floor, according to the report. The deputy identified the student believed responsible, but that student had already left with a parent.

The 17-year-old Abingdon boy, who sources say is the rape victim's brother, is being charged as a minor with first- and second-degree assault and disturbing school operations.

The month and year of the assault victim's birth match that of Reddish and sources confirmed that Reddish was the victim.

Cassilly said there are some issues with the charges against the 17-year-old.

"Normally a person who is 17, 16 or 17 who is charged with first-degree assault is charged as an adult," Cassilly said.

He went on to explain that the circumstances of the incident fit better with a charge of second-degree assault.

"Although it was charged as first-degree assault the recommended charges are second-degree assault," Cassilly said.

He said it is likely that the 17-year-old will not be charged as an adult.

Staff writer Dewey Fox also contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad