Man falls to his death from CSX railroad bridge over Susquehanna River

A man fell to his death from the CSX railroad bridge across the Susquehanna River Monday in what police are calling a work-related accident.

Around 2:10 p.m. Monday, a man fell about 90 feet from the bridge onto Garrett Island in Cecil County, according to Sgt. Art Windemuth with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police, the agency that assisted at the scene. The railroad bridge crosses the island, which is midway between the Havre de Grace and Perryville shores of the river.

"It was a worker that was working on the CSX track and he fell and died from his injuries," Windemuth said.

Windemuth said DNR police were assisting at the scene and could not provide the name of the man.

"It's being viewed as an occupational accident," Windemuth said.

CSX spokesman Bob Sullivan said the employee, 58-year-old Bernard T. Burrows, of Stanton, Del., had been with the railroad since 1973.

"CSX and its employees extend their deepest sympathy to the family, friends and co-workers of Mr. Burrows," Sullivan wrote in an e-mail Tuesday afternoon.

Maryland State Police with the North East Barrack in Cecil County said CSX police were handling the investigation, but Sullivan said the Harford County Sheriff's Office was investigating. A sheriff's office spokesman said deputies are not investigating the accident and directed inquiries to natural resources police.

In addition to any local investigation, the Federal Railroad Administration is conducting its own investigation.

"The FRA investigates all on-duty deaths," Warren Flatau, public information specialist with the FRA, said Wednesday.

Those investigations include deaths caused by natural or unnatural causes and are designed to identify any contributing factor correct it and enforce federal regulations if violations took place.

"All these events have to be reported to us," Flatau said, later adding, "The numbers [of deaths] are usually thankfully quite small given that it's an industry of thousands of people," Flatau said.

The investigation is ongoing and could take several months to complete.

"Once it's complete it is something that gets made public," Flatau said.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad