Orioles, Yankees got stuck on trains in Harford on way to NYC

Fresh off a 3-2 win over the New York Yankees to win Game 2 of the American League Division Series, the Baltimore Orioles were stranded in Edgewood on their way to the Big Apple early Tuesday morning.

The Yankees got stuck a little farther north, near Aberdeen.

The entire Orioles traveling party - players, coaches, training staff, front off staff and some family members – was on the Amtrak train when it came to a halt near the Edgewood train station, Monica Barlow, director of public relations for the Orioles, confirmed in an e-mail Thursday.

For some reason, which is still being investigated ,the power lines that provide power to the trains between Washington, D.C., and Wilmington, Del., went down around 2:30 a.m., Danelle Hunter, an Amtrak spokesperson said Thursday. That brought all trains traveling in Amtrak's Northeast corridor to a halt.

The Orioles were already in transit from Baltimore to New York, and their train came to a stop around mile marker 75.3, according to Harford County Sheriff's Office police reports.

Amtrak asked the sheriff's office to respond the Edgewood train station "to patrol the area while the Orioles decide another form of transportation to take," according to the police logs.

The Orioles traveling party was stuck on the train for a couple hours, Barlow said, then they boarded buses to complete their travel to New York for Wednesday night's third game of the best-of-five ALDS at Yankee Stadium.

Despite the time spent stranded, Barlow said, the "mood was actually upbeat."

"People were obviously tired, but we ended up having our workout in New York City canceled that day, so everyone was able to catch up on their rest," Barlow wrote.

The Yankees left Baltimore on an Amtrak train around 2 a.m. and at about 2:35, just as the power went out, "coasted" into the Aberdeen station, Yankees manager told reporters at a press conference Tuesday, a Yankees spokesman said Thursday.

The team boarded buses around 3:15 to 3:30 a.m. and arrived back in New York by about 6 a.m. Like the Orioles, the Yankees workout Tuesday was also canceled.

As for Amtrak, normal operations resumed around 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, almost 10 hours after power went down.

The Orioles and Yankees didn't play Tuesday – it was the scheduled travel day for both teams, but the Birds lost Game 3 series, 2-1, in 12 innings Wednesday.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad