Don’t miss the ultimate foodie event, The Baltimore Sun's Secret Supper

Monday's wintry mix closes Harford schools, postpones county budget hearing

A wintry mix Monday morning prompted the closure of Harford County Public Schools and the postponement of Harford County Executive David Craig's budget hearing.

"Due to the delayed start of the wintry mix forecasted for this morning, Harford County Public Schools will now be CLOSED today," the public school system announced on its home page at about 7:16 a.m., also sending out e-mails and alert-now calls. School officials originally planned to open two hours late.

School offices and school system central offices were set to open on time but all evening activities were canceled for Monday, with the exception of a board of education meeting which went on as scheduled at 6:30 p.m. at school headquarters in Bel Air. The recognition part of that meeting was put off until a later date, however, according to the school system's communications office.

The weather conditions and closing of schools prompted Craig's office to cancel his public meeting on the 2014 budget, which was set to take place at Aberdeen High School on Monday evening. The session will be rescheduled in the near future, according to a media release.

Local private schools, like The John Carroll School and Harford Day School, also announced they were closed for Monday.

The sleet and freezing rain caused some slippery road conditions and a few vehicles ran off the road, according monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts.

A winter weather advisory, with freezing rain, remained in effect for the Baltimore area until noon.

The early-morning iciness was under way when a three-vehicle crash critically injured a child on I-95, near Route 24, before 5 a.m. that day.

Other than that, local officials and County Spokesman Bob Thomas did not report any serious problems.

Aberdeen public works director Matt Lapinsky told the city council Monday night the city did use up the last of its "vintage salt" Monday morning.

"We are in good shape," he said about the weather. "Things went well. I had one e-mail about a problem that I took care of rather quickly."

He said his crews "did well in a pinch."

Check back with for updates.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad