Missing Edgewood girl found safe

An Edgewood girl who left home after a family argument Saturday was found safe Wednesday evening, a spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff's Office said.

The sheriff's office had reported that Queen Amora Swift, 15, left home Saturday after arguing with her mother. Two hours later, about 9:20 p.m., her mother reported to police that her daughter was missing.

The girl was "safely located" about 8 p.m. Wednesday, Monica Worrell, public information officer for the sheriff's office said.

"She reached out to a trusted adult," Worrell said, explaining that the girl told police she "was afraid to go home."

As a result, Worrell said, the girl was turned over to Child Protective Services. Police also contacted the girl's mother, she added.

Worrell said Thursday the girl was released back into the custody of her mother late Wednesday.

Prior to being reported missing Saturday, Queen was last seen in the 1800 block of Nuttal Ave. in Edgewood wearing a black and white striped jacket, white shirt, blue jeans and flip-flops.

In addition to searching the area, the sheriff's office activated the "A Child is Missing" program, which generates calls to local residents and businesses.

One call went out Monday night and another Tuesday night, Worrell had said Wednesday morning.

The program is used by the sheriff's office when children, elderly or disabled individuals are reported missing, Worrell said. It is the step before requesting a statewide Amber Alert in searching for missing children.

"A Child is Missing" is a nationwide nonprofit organization. Participation in the program is free.

While police were actively searching for Queen, Worrell had explained earlier that the circumstances of her disappearance did not reach the level of Amber Alert.

"There are no critical factors attached to her being missing," she said.

The girl was not categorized as "critically missing," Worrell said, because she didn't meet certain criteria, such as having a life-threatening drug dependency, being missing more than 24 hours before her absence was reported to police, living in close proximity to a known child sex offender or believed to be in the company of adults who would endanger her welfare.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad