State Fire Marshal investigates townhouse, vehicle fire

Firefighters responded to a fire in Joppa over the weekend that caused $20,000 in damages. It was one of two fires in the community in the past week.

A one-alarm blaze was reported in a townhouse Friday in the 900 block of Rumsey Place shortly after 11 a.m., according to the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal. About 45 firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Kingsville and White Marsh fire companies responded.

It took them nearly an hour to control the fire, which had been discovered by a passerby, according to the state fire marshal. The fire started in the kitchen, above the stove, and is under investigation. The house had a working smoke alarm.

The fire caused $15,000 worth of damage to the structure and $5,000 to the contents, according to the fire marshal.

Fire officials are also investigating a vehicle fire in Joppa, although no firefighters responded or were needed to control the fire, according to the fire marshal.

People using the four wheeler access road at the intersection of Fort Hoyle Road and Route 152 discovered the vehicle, which had been reported stolen by the owner, who lives in the 100 block of Haverhill Road, according to the fire marshal.

The fire caused $10,000 of damage to the 2003 Jeep Wrangler and is believed to have started in the interior passenger compartment. Anyone with information about the fire is encouraged to contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal, 410-836-4844.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad