He's 'homicidal,' 911 caller said of Harford C.C. student during threat

A Harford Community College student who threatened possible harm to others on the campus last week initially told his doctor he was filled with rage and wanted to kill someone, according to a 911 recording obtained by The Aegis from the Harford County Emergency Operations Center.

In the one minute and 34 second recording, a caller from the Harford County Mobile Crisis Team alerted the emergency dispatcher to what she called a "homicidal subject" on the community college's campus near Bel Air on the morning of Monday, April 9.

The caller said the man, whom she could not give a description of, was sitting in a white SUV parked in front of the campus library.

The student claimed he had assaulted a man at a baseball game the previous Saturday and that his friend had recently committed suicide, the woman caller said.

"Subject is claiming that he is full of rage, wants to kill someone," the caller said on the recording, "and thinks he will feel better if he kills somebody."

At that point, the dispatcher asked, "Do you think he's suicidal, homicidal?"

"Homicidal," the caller replied.

The caller also noted that the student said he was unarmed and did not have any weapons on his person or in his vehicle.

Harford County sheriff's deputies initially responded to the 911 call at 10:40 a.m. and had the student in custody by 11:20 a.m. with the help of campus security, according to a news releases issued by the college and the sheriff's office later in the day April 9.

The releases also confirmed the student was not armed.

Several HCC students said later they were not notified of the incident until at least an hour after the student was taken into custody.

The college followed its protocol for the incident and would have used a different type of communication if the situation had not been handled so quickly, Harford Marketing and Public Relations Director Nancy Dysard wrote in an e-mail last week.

Based on enrollment, Dysard estimated more than 2,000 students were on campus last week during the incident, she wrote in an e-mail in response to a follow-up question.

No charges were filed against the student, who has not been publicly identified. His name was removed from the 911 recording supplied to The Aegis.

Once he was is custody, the student was taken to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air. A sheriff's office spokesperson said he was to receive an initial mental evaluation but did not know where.

The student is no longer at the medical facility for in-patient treatment and has been released, according to Harford Sheriff's Office spokesperson Monica Worrell said late Tuesday afternoon.

Worrell also confirmed that no charges have been filed against the student, but she said she did not know if the college planned to take any action in that regard.

HCC's Dysard wrote in an e-mail late Tuesday evening that the college has not filed any criminal charges at this time but is following protocol for handling the situation.

"Such options include student disciplinary actions and consulting with outside agencies to seek a resolution that balances the student's rights with the need to protect others in the campus community," she explained.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad