Ever wanted to go back to college for the day? Don’t miss: 3 top lecturers in Baltimore

Patterson Mill shuts out Chesapeake-B.C. Saturday in football opener

The Patterson Mill Huskies waited a day to start their football season and did it with a 24-0 road win over the Chesapeake-B.C. squad Saturday afternoon.

Devinn Fisher led the Huskies' offense, running for 160 yards and one touchdown on 15 carries.

Mike Reed caught two passes for 44 yards, scored one touchdown and picked off one pass on defense.

Ryan Jacobs helped out the winning cause with a 58-yard punt return for a touchdown.

Patterson Mill kicker A.J. Brocato nailed a 30-yard field goal attempt and had one interception.

Cross-town rivals

Aberdeen opened the 2012 high school football season with a 27-21 win over host and long-time rival Edgewood Friday night in front of a capacity crowd.

Joppatowne, Fallston, C. Milton Wright and John Carroll also won Friday, while Havre de Grace and North Harford lost their season-openers. In the Joppatowne-Tech game, one player suffered a concussion and was taken to Bayview Hospital in Baltimore.

In Edgewood, Aberdeen nearly let leads of 20-0 and 27-7 slip way as a gritty Edgewood team made it interesting down the stretch.

Aberdeen scored on the game's opening possession, with Dante Warfield doing the honors on a 7-yard run.

Kenshea McCraney, the Eagles ground attack leader, scored on a 36-yard run with less than a minute left in the first quarter. McCraney finished with 155 yards on 11 carries and also had a screen pass reception for nine yards.

Eagles fullback Trashon Turner added a pair of touchdowns. The first came in the second quarter on a 6-yard run, set up by 22-yard scamper from McCraney.

Edgewood finally got on the scoreboard late in the half when Noel Spencer outran the Eagles for a 46-yard score.

Turner added his second score less than two minutes into the final quarter, rumbling eight yards into the end zone. A 33-yard run by Turner the play before set up the score.

Edgewood used a 9-yard touchdown run by quarterback Kaliel Barmer and a 30-yard fumble return touchdown by Ray King to close the score, but Aberdeen was able to hold on the for the win in the final 5:46.

Mariners edge Cobras

Joppatowne opened with win a Friday night, slipping by visiting and scrappy Harford Tech, 9-6.

David Moore scored the lone Joppatowne touchdown on 3-yard run in the second quarter and Austin O'Dell added the point after for a 7-0 lead.

Tech also scored its only points later in the quarter when Dennis Pink hauled in a 53-yard touchdown pass from Andres Armstrong. Armstrong was stopped on the conversion try.

The game's final points were scored in the fourth quarter when Dylan Nicodemus recorded a safety for the Mariners.

Moore was the workhorse for the Mariners rushing attack that ground out 285 yards. Moore carried the ball 23 times for 135 yards. Moore, however, was knocked out of the game and taken to Bayview Hospital. Coach John Horgan confirmed that Moore suffered a concussion, but said he will be OK.

Nicodemus added 80 yards on 11 carries and Christian Coward finished with 50 yards on nine attempts. Quarterback Bennie Myrick chipped in 20 yards on three carries.

Brandon Waters paced the Mariners defense with five tackles, while Coward, Nicodemus and Malik Smith each had four.

Warriors get blanked

Opening the season in Elkton, Havre de Grace failed to score and was shut out, 44-0, Friday night. The Warriors, who had no stats to speak of, were down 37-0 at the half.

Fallston drops Indians

The Fallston Cougars, helped by a tremendous effort from running back Marc Badger, walked out of their season-opener at North East with a 33-12 victory.

Badger racked up 207 rushing yards on 24 carries and found the Indians' end zone four times in the victory.

The Cougars' other touchdown came when quarterback Brandon Weinhold hit wide receiver Chris Curry with a 20-yard scoring pass.

North Harford downed by Hereford

In a reversal of last year's season opener, when the North Harford boys upset the visiting Hereford Bulls, 28-23, this year it was the Hawks coming away with a loss, 28-10, at the hands of the Bulls.

After punting away the ball on their first possession, the Hawks watched as Hereford marched 75 yards on four plays for the game's first touchdown.

North Harford posted its first points early in the second quarter when Nic Hammer fired a 33-yard touchdown pass to Sean Jackson. Chris King nailed the extra point to tie the contest, 7-7.

Before the second quarter was through, Hereford took the lead for good on a one-yard touchdown run.

The Bulls added two more touchdowns and a pair of point-after kicks in the third quarter to run up a 28-7 advantage.

In the game's final quarter, King put a 28-yard field goal attempt through the uprights to give the Hawks 10 tallies, and those would be the final points of the contest.

Mustangs bash Tigers

Playing at home Friday night, the C. Milton Wright Mustangs picked up a lopsided victory by bashing the Rising Sun Tigers, 48-0.

Patriots win big

John Carroll had no trouble getting the season off to a good start Friday night, blasting visiting Bo Manor, 51-14. The Patriots led 44-6 at the half.

John Carroll punished the Eagles on the ground, rushing for 231 yards on 28 attempts. Paul Lorick was the leader, carrying the ball 11 times for 106 yards.

Quarterback Brandon Lewis was 4-for-5 for 79 yards and two touchdowns, while Austin Markley had three receptions for 66 yards and two touchdowns to highlight the scoring.

Rasheed Gillis returned a kickoff 73 yards for a score and on defense, Walter Roche picked up a fumble and returned it 31 yards for a score.

Lewis also had two, two-point conversion passes, one each to Isiah Martin and Markley.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad