Vigil set for Edgewood shooting victim; suspect held without bond

Violence and tragedy has struck Edgewood again, leaving some in the community to cope the best they can with the aftermath of another murder.

A vigil had been planned for Thursday night for the Edgewood teenager shot to death a week ago. The man charged with his murder, as well as the shooting of another Edgewood teenager in the Jan. 31 incident, was ordered held without bail Wednesday in Harford County District Court.

Garfield Smith III, of the 1600 block of Candlewood Court, is charged with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and use of a firearm in the death of Michael Wayne Kearins, 17, of the 1900 block of Harewood Road in Edgewood, according to a media release from the Harford County Sheriff's Office.

Smith is also charged with attempted first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, use of a firearm in commission of a felony and reckless endangerment in the shooting of Christopher Thomas Cousins, 18, also of the 1900 block of Harewood Road in Edgewood.

Harford County District Court Judge Mimi Cooper ordered him held without bail after an assistant state's attorney noted he is "a relatively young man" who "has a relatively extensive criminal history" and has been previously charged with aggravated assault and rape.

The relatives of Michael Kearins were to hold a candlelight vigil for him at 7 p.m. Thursday in Cunion Recreational Park off Trimble Road.

Michael Cramer, the victim's cousin, said he was expecting 100 to 200 people for the event.

"The purpose of it is just to bring the community together, see family and friends and celebrate his life," Cramer said.

Smith was arrested at about 3 p.m. Tuesday, just days after he allegedly shot Kearins and Cousins in Cunion Recreational Park, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened around 10:30 p.m. last Thursday when, witnesses told police, a white male and a black male had come to the complex from the Meadowood area "for a meeting," Eddie Hopkins, spokesman for the sheriff's office, said Thursday, explaining there was some sort of confrontation and the two young men were shot.

Cousins and Kearins may have gone to the park to buy marijuana when Smith allegedly shot them, according to the release issued Tuesday.

Kearins was taken to the Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival, the Sheriff's Office said last Friday morning.

Cousins was flown by Medevac to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was in good condition earlier this week.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to the call the sheriff's office southern precinct, 410-612-1717.

Callers can remain anonymous and can also submit tips online at

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad