Chimney fire damages White Hall home Monday

A chimney fire caused $35,000 worth of damage to a home in White Hall on Monday afternoon, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.

There were no injuries at the one-story home in the 2800 block of Church Lane West, where it was reported at 3:49 p.m., according to the notice of investigation.

It took 28 firefighters about 30 minutes to control the blaze. Firefighters from Norrisville, Fawn Grove, Stewartstown, Jarrettsville and Whiteford companies responded.

The fire was caused by a breach in the firebox on the outside fireplace, which caused flames to get inside the home, according to the notice.

"The owner's teenage sons were burning wood and leaves in the outdoor fireplace and later discovered smoke coming from an interior electrical outlet," the notice of investigation said. "The investigation revealed the fire breached the masonry wall and entered into the wall of the home. The fire was contained to the wall of the home."

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad