North Harford tops Hereford in 3A North boys soccer final

With a 1-0 victory over the visiting Hereford Bulls on Monday in the 3A North Region title game, the top-seeded North Harford Hawks won their first regional boys soccer championship in nearly two decades.

The Hawks' last regional crown came in 1994, 18 seasons ago.

North Harford's lone goal came 25 minutes into the contest, when Brooks Billings found the Hereford net with an assist from Kyle Six.

With the win, North Harford moves on to Saturday's 3A state semi-finals at the Community College of Baltimore County in Essex, where the Hawks will square off with the winner of Tuesday's 3A West title game between Urbana and Tuscarora. That game's start time has not yet been decided.

"Tonight's game was very evenly played," North Harford head coach Matt Johnstone said. "Hereford plays a lot like us, so it was pretty close all the way through. I'm going to the 3A West final tomorrow to watch Urbana and Tuscarora."

To get to Monday's region final, the top-seeded Hawks won Friday's all-Harford 3A North boys soccer regional semi-final showdown, beating visiting C. Milton Wright, 3-1, to end the Mustangs' season.

The night before, Thursday, the Hawks knocked off visiting eighth seed Patapsco, 6-0, in the 3A North regional quarterfinal.

Kyle Six scored a hat trick in the Thursday victory, while Randy Roster netted two goals in the victory. Billings notched one goal for the Hawks.

Josh Scholz and Kevin Thompson each had two assists in the victory.

Robert Fiackos posted six saves tending to the North Harford net.

CMW tops Towson Thursday

Before losing Friday in the semi-final game, C. Milton Wright kept its season alive Thursday night with another one-goal, regional tournament victory, defeating 12th-seeded Towson, 2-1, in double overtime at Franklin High School.

With the score tied, 1-1, in the second 10-minute, sudden-death overtime period, CMW's Alex Cantor scored an unassisted goal to wrap up the Mustangs' 2-1 victory.

Towson scored its lone goal in the first half, and at the halftime break the Mustangs were still trailing 1-0.

Nick Waite scored unassisted in the second half to knot the contest at 1-1, where it stayed until Cantor's overtime tally.

Logan Keys racked up six saves in goal for the Mustangs.



Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad