No bail for Harford bank robbery suspect

A Bel Air man accused of robbing a Forest Hill bank last Thursday was ordered held without bail Friday by a Harford County District Court judge.

Police found a note describing steps to follow in the robbery in David William Hayes' pocket, as well as a large sum of money, according to charging documents that Judge Mimi Cooper read aloud during Hayes' bail review in Bel Air.

"I make a huge find that you are a huge flight risk and a huge danger to the community, and a danger to yourself," Cooper said to Hayes, who appeared in the courtroom via closed circuit television from the Harford County Detention Center.

Bail was originally set at $1 million when Hayes was arrested in Fallston late Thursday afternoon.

Hayes, 28, of the 800 block of May Court in Bel Air, is charged with robbery, theft of more than $1,000 and theft less than $10,000.

The robbery charge carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in jail and the theft charge has a maximum penalty of 10 years, Cooper said.

Hayes was arrested near Walmart in Fallston late Thursday afternoon, shortly after he allegedly robbed PNC Bank in the 2300 block of Rock Spring Road.

Hayes is a lifelong Harford County resident who graduated from C. Milton Wright High School, public defender Lynne McChrystal told the judge.

He is unemployed but had worked in construction for several years earlier, McChrystal said.

Has, who remained in jail at the Harford County Detention Center Tuesday, has a preliminary hearing scheduled for May 9 at 11 a.m. in District Court.

Police are also investigating the possibility that Hayes is the same person who robbed two High's convenience stores – one in White Hall and one in Madonna – Tuesday, Monica Worrell, spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff's Office, said.

Hayes allegedly entered the PNC Bank at the corner of Rocks and Jarrettsville roads in Forest Hill about 4:45 p.m. Thursday, demanded cash and fled in a car, police said.

He was tracked by a police dog and Baltimore County Police Department helicopter to near the Walmart in Fallston off Belair Road, about seven miles from the bank robbery.

"Baltimore County Police Department Aviation Unit was in the air at the time the incident was reported," Worrell wrote in a statement issued about 8:15 p.m. Thursday. "They immediately responded and were able to track the suspect's vehicle from the air. Harford County Sheriff's Office and Maryland State Police on the ground set up a perimeter and were able to locate the suspect through aviation's visual cues, despite heavy traffic and multiple avenues of escape."

"At approximately 5:15 p.m., less than 30 minutes after the robbery occurred, the suspect was apprehended without incident and taken into custody by Harford County Sheriff's Office deputies in the 400 block of Whitaker Mill Road in Fallston, located near the Fallston Walmart on Belair Road," the statement added.

Worrell said Hayes did not have a weapon when he was arrested.

She also said the police had blocked off Belair Road at some point, but there did not appear to be any high speed chase involved with the suspect.

Worrell also said reports of Walmart being evacuated because of a hostage situation were "not real at this point."

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad