Two brothers charged with attempted murder in Edgewood stabbing

Two brothers have been charged with attempted murder after two stabbings in Edgewood on New Year's Eve. They are being held without bail.

Steven Michael Gange, 23, of the 1700 block of Meadowood Court in Edgewood, and Timothy Eric Laffoon, 25, of the 1700 block of Anne Avenue in Essex, are both charged with two counts each of attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault and possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

The incidents date to New Year's Eve, according to Assistant State's Attorney Jennifer Bober, when the brothers allegedly stabbed two people.

During interviews, Gange said he and his brother had gotten into a fight with several black men, Monica Worrell, spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff's Office, said.

Two men were stabbed on the same street and had non life-threatening injuries on New Year's Eve.

A stabbing was initially reported at 10:40 p.m. in the 1700 block of Meadowood Court, police said. A second was reported 20 minutes later in the 2100 block of Meadowood Court. The first involved Kevin Gerrod Scott, 21, of Baltimore, who was found at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center with stab wounds, Worrell said Monday. He was later transported to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore and released the next day, Worrell said, adding that Scott did not want to file charges.

The second stabbing involved Edmund Hardy, 31, of the 1300 block of Harford Square Drive, who was found with multiple stab wounds. He underwent surgery at shock trauma and was released three days later, Worrell said.

The stabbings do not appear to be gang- or drug-related, Worrell said.

After being picked up over the weekend, the brothers, who share the same mother, appeared before District Court Judge John Dunnigan for bail review hearings Monday afternoon.

Gange has been living in Harford County for a year, according to Public Defender Lynne McChrystal, but has been in Maryland his whole life. McChrystal pointed out his lack of failures to appear and requested reasonable bail. McChrystal also spoke for Laffoon, who she said claimed his actions were out of self defense and requested $250,000 bail.

Bober recommended both be held without bond, which Dunnigan upheld.

As of Thursday evening, they were still being held at the Harford County Detention Center.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad