As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, Oct. 4, 1962:
The county commissioners approved a request 50 years ago of the Harford Memorial Hospital for an appropriation of $200,000 for an addition to be added. The new construction was estimated to cost a total of $1.3 million , which would include 26 additional rooms and a new X-ray department. Some of the additional funds were needed for renovation of the existing building and the relocation of the sewer lines. The additional funds needed for the upgrades would come from gifts, contributions, as well as a contribution of $433,330 allowed by the federal government. It was expected the additions would be completed in 20 months.
Members of the Bel Air Rotary Club were able to drive across the bottom of the Susquehanna River below the Conowingo Dam to observe the project of installing four additional turbines and generators. Prior to their visit to the dam, members and guests gathered at the Darlington Episcopal Church parish house for a dinner served by the ladies of the church. The group first visited the main portion of the dam on the Harford County side and walked through a tunnel to reach the roof of "Turbine Hall." The north wall of "Turbine Hall" had been removed and the four new 86,000 horsepower turbines would be in the open weather instead of being enclosed as the other seven were. From the Cecil County side of the tour, cars were driven across a road built in the river bed.
In a bill sent to President Kennedy by Congress, Edgewood Arsenal was earmarked for appropriations of a little more than a million dollars for military construction projects. One such project provided for the completion of an Electric Distribution Rehabilitation System which would modernize all existing facilities. It would also increase the capacity of the post's electric power and would provide the ability to serve all activities at the arsenal.
A plate glass window of Richardson's Drug Store on Main Street in Bel Air was smashed when a parked car drifted across the Main and Pennsylvania Avenue intersection, jumping the curb and striking the window.
The Unitarian Church on Pennsylvania Avenue in Bel Air suffered extensive damage attributed to two young boys, ages 9 and 11. Two ladies who arrived at the church for an art class discovered a quantity of paints and painting materials had been destroyed, ink had been poured from one room, down the hall and into another room, walls had been written upon, several windows broken and shingles torn off the roof. The two boys were apprehended the following day.
Two persons died instantly and three more were injured in a head on collision on Route 1 about a mile north of Bel Air. Listed as killed in the accident was one of the drivers, 62-year-old Wilton Walter of Street, and his daughter, Elva Wilson, 20, also of Street. Wilson's two young children, who were riding in the back seat of the car, were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, while the driver of the other auto, 49-year-old Gustave Folberth of Forest Hill, was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital. Folberth received internal injuries, a broken left leg and lacerations and contusions of the face and body. It appeared that Walter's car was headed south on Route 1 and crossed the center line and struck Folbert's vehicle almost dead center. This brought Harford's 1962 traffic total to 21 people.
One of Bel Air's oldest automobile businesses, MacLean Pontiac Inc., on Courtland Street, would be known as Scott-MacLean Pontiac Inc. The business was begun in 1898 by Hall MacLean's father, Frank MacLean, as a blacksmith's shop, which moved to its present location in 1904. Under this new management, Clarence Scott and his brother, Walter, who have operated a Pontiac dealership in Baltimore since 1931, were joining the company. The building both inside and out was to be repainted and a new hard surface used car lot would be added.
High's of Baltimore Inc., which sold milk in Bel Air, announced a price reduction of a gallon-sized milk to 89 cents. The new, low price coincided with High's introduction of a gallon jug. No diary had previously sold milk in larger containers than half gallons. It was never sold in gallon jugs because of a health department regulation. High's petitioned the health department for permission to bottle milk into gallon jugs, explaining that they were just as safe and sanitary as other size containers. High's also dated all milk processed at their plants with a date stamp on the lid for freshness.