As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, August 22, 1963:
The largest school construction contract in Harford history was awarded this week for the new Catholic high school in Bel Air on Route 22. The bid from E. Eyring & Sons Co. for $3,175,000, was accepted by the Archbishop Lawrence J. Shehan. The new facility would be built on the 87 acre former Wagner farm. The construction project would be completed in two phases. The first part of the project was to build the three story classroom section and a 20,000-squarE-foot faculty residence to house 16 sisters. The 135,000-square-foot school would include 35 classrooms, including a large instruction room, three science laboratories, a foreign language laboratory, three business education classrooms, two home economic rooms, two music classrooms and two art and drafting rooms. In the second phase of the project would be a 100-seat chapel, a 600-seat auditorium, a 1,600-seat gymnasium, plus administrative offices, cafeteria, athletic fields and library.
Two employees of the Coastal Tank Lines Inc. in Edgewood were severely burned by hot oil at Stancill's gravel pit. The tank truck drivers were opening valve covers on top of the tanks to allow the scalding liquid to pour into an open pit when the oil splattered on their shirts causing severe burns. Both men suffered first- and second-degree burns over 45 percent of their bodies. The men were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital for treatment.
Edgewood High School would have a new start time this year, according to the Board of Education. Classes would begin at 8:40 a.m. instead of the traditional 9 a.m. The change had to be made because of the increase in population in the school district.
A prize antique 1903 Cadillac was auctioned off for $3,300 to C.V. Fowler of Aberdeen. The Cadillac, which bore the serial number 25, was part of the liquidation of assets belonging to the former "Cadillac Jack" used car dealer in Benson. Fowler's plan for the car was to rebuild the vehicle and then resell it.
Mary Ann Harvey of Little Pine Farm in Darlington was crowned Harford's 1963 Farm Queen at the old County Home. More than 100 spectators attended the local competition. Harford's new queen won a full scholarship to Hollins College in Roanoke, Va. Harvey would next compete in the Maryland Farm Queen Contest at the Maryland State Fair in Timonium over the Labor Day weekend.
Magnolia Methodist Church would be celebrating its 75th anniversary. The original Magnolia Methodist Episcopal Church came into existence on Sept. 9, 1888. Before this date, the residents in the area attended the old Brick Church which was within the Edgewood Arsenal. The present church was built by John A. Sheridan at a cost of $1,750. The ground was donated by George Brown. At the time of the dedication the church was completely debt free.
William Washington Walker, administrator of the Harford Memorial Hospital, was admitted to the American College of Hospital Administrators. The College was founded for the purpose of providing recognition to men and women who are doing outstanding work in their professional careers as hospital administrators.
The Bel Air Bobcats were the first high school in the county to start their pre-season football practice this week. Head Coach Al Cesky and his assistants watched the new recruits as they ran through their drills to signify the beginning of a new season. Cesky's Bobcats practiced twice a day for a total of five hours. The team needed to be cut from the 60 players to 40 by the beginning of the school year.
The 24th annual Mills Brothers Three Ring Circus would be coming to Jarrettsville sponsored by the Jarrettsville Lions Club. The 1963 edition of the circus would feature imported and domestic circus acts, the traditional pageant spectacles, a steel arena of jungle lions, liberty horses, trapeze chimpanzees, llamas, camels and animal land fantasies and the climax would be the elephant ballet.