50 years ago: Two from PA die in small plane crash near Rocks State Park

As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, August 16, 1962:

Dr. Helen Myers of Lancaster, Pa., a pilot, and her passenger, Maurice Wilhere of Philadelphia, died when their single-prop aircraft crashed into a wooded hillside at Rocks State Park. It was believed the pair was returning to Lancaster when their plane was ripped apart by violent winds and rain squalls over Rocks State Park. Rescue teams from Jarrettsville and Delta searched for nearly an hour for the aircraft after it had been reported downed. The wreckage with the two bodies in it was found about 300 feet north of Chrome Hill Road off Rocks Road. The wreckage was pulled out of the trees by Jeep and taken to the ranger headquarters on Chrome Hill Road. A private truck took it to Aberdeen Proving Ground, where it was reconstructed by FAA investigators so a study of the cause of the crash could be made.

The Baltimore Regional Planning Council recommended that the areas of Aberdeen, Bel Air, Edgewood and Havre de Grace become four of 20 future "Metrotowns" in the Baltimore area. A Metrotown was a planned city in the suburbs which was independent but linked with other Metrotowns and a central city such as Baltimore. Stretching out from the city, the related cluster of suburban cities would be joined by a network of high speed expressways with a rapid transit system. Each Metrotown would be designed to accommodate 100,000 to 200,000 people.

George Jolliffe, a Baltimore portrait artist and restorer of oil paintings, took on the task of restoring the 39 portraits of Harford's great men that adorned the walls of the Harford County Circuit Courthouse. The paintings were expected to be completed in time for the court to reconvene in September.

Student registration and enrollment were up over the previous high of 351 students in the fall of 1961 at the Harford Junior College. The students could enroll in programs in business administration, teacher education, liberal arts and engineering, which was being offered for the first time in 1962.

A child, 10-year-old Naomi Ruth Stanley, passed away as a result of burns she suffered at her home on July 21, 1962. Stanley had gone to the basement with her father to light a gas operated heater when it exploded. Stanley died in City Hospital of Baltimore after suffering second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of her body.

Four new turbine-generators were being installed at the Conowingo hydro-electric plant on the Susquehanna. This was a multi-million dollar expansion project which would double the 253,000-kilowatt capacity of the Conowingo hydroelectric plant. The construction was started in April and was scheduled for completion by the end of 1964. The added capacity at Conowingo was being installed to meet peak demands for power and to make maximum use of river flow. At its completion in 1928, Conowingo was the largest development, hydro or steam, constructed in one step in the history of the electric power industry and remained among the largest installations in the world as of 1962.

An article from the "Get Growing" column says: "Jap beetles will be leaving us very shortly. If they are still a problem with you, use either Sevin, DDT, or malathion for control."

Lutz's, on Main Street at Pennsylvania Avenue in Bel Air, was having a storewide sale: a 14-cubic-foot completely frostproof refrigerator with a large separate freezer, turquoise, was $285.97; a 40-inch completely automatic range was $239.95; a 20-cubic-foot chest Frigidaire freezer was $385; dishwashers with portable hot water boosters were $188; a 50-gallon, glass lined electric water heater was $99.50; and a 7,000 BTU air-conditioner, 7 1/2 amp, brand new was $135.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad