50 years ago: Aegis moves from Main Street into new offices on Hayes Street

As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, July 26, 1962:

After weeks of preparations, The Aegis moved to its new location at 10 Hays St. The new site was adjacent to the telephone company and diagonally across the street from the A&P Store parking lot. A new offset newspaper press was set up in the new facility, which allowed the newspaper to relocate without moving the newspaper's used equipment. The 1.47 acres on Hays Street was purchased from the C&P Telephone Company. The site provided plenty of room for a large building and plenty of parking spaces. Customers would enter the building at Hays Street, where they would find the clerical staff seated immediately to the left of the door. Just beyond the front desk was the office of the advertising manager. To the right of the corridor were private offices from the business manager, reporters and the editor. The building was air-conditioned throughout, with the latest updated lighting fixtures. Customers and friends would be invited to an opening party in the next few weeks.

The first county park for Harford County became a reality this week in 1962. Edmund Schwanke of Bel Air provided the Park Board of Harford County with several acres along Winters Run Road, which runs parallel to the Winters Run Stream from Singer Road to Route 7. Schwanke was an active conservationist and farmer and was a supporter for public parks.

The Abingdon fire department's rescue squad pulled Howard St. Clair from the bottom of a well in VanBibber as he was slowly sinking. He was found in water up to his shoulders and mud to his waist. St. Clair was cleaning the bottom of a 33-foot well on Green Road when the bottom suddenly gave way. He was unable to free himself. The rescue squad sent a man down into the well to pull St. Clair from the mud before he was completely submerged. Although an ambulance was waiting nearby, St. Clair did not need medical attention.

The town commissioners heard complaints from the residents of Robinson Street protesting the nightly collection of teenagers on their street. Many of these teens were not residents of the area and were creating a nuisance. On one occasion a homeowner counted 41 youths loitering on the street. The teens were known to be drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. The town commissioners agreed to make arrangements to break up the gangs.

A 7-year-old Aberdeen boy died after he was truck by a car on Route 22 at Swan Creek. The boy, Terry Wykles, was playing with a group of friends on the south side of the road and darted into the path of a car, which struck him and threw him across the road. A witness took the child to Harford Memorial Hospital, were he died of multiple fractures of the chest, a fractured skull and abdominal injuries.

A hot water heater exploded in the basement of a Joppa Farm Road residence causing severe burns to the family members. The 10-year-old daughter, Naomi Stanley, received second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of her body. Her father, 72-year-old Ridley Stanley, sustained second- and third-degree burns on 30 percent of his body. Her 60-year-old mother, Mary Stanley, sustained only first- and second-degree burns on her hands. Stanley and his daughter had gone to the basement to light the heater, which was gas operated. As the match was struck, the heater exploded, igniting the clothes of both. They ran upstairs, where Mary Stanley, pulled the burning clothes off them, burned her hands in the process.

Bata Shoe Factory employees received the largest paid vacation total ever distributed to the workers at the Belcamp factory. The employees took home close to a half a million dollars along with their previous week's wages. Most of Bata's employees were residents of Harford County. The vacation benefits would help boost the economic security in the county. Because of the continued expansion of the Bata Company, they expected to break their pre-vacation payroll record again in 1963.

Emory Methodist Church on Ady Road was destroyed by a fire resulting from a lightning strike. A lightning bolt struck the steeple of the church, quickly caving in the roof, preventing anyone from retrieving any items and bringing them to safety. A religious painting which hung on the wall of the church still stood completely unharmed. The church was originally built in 1849 and was remodeled in 1884. It was completely redecorated in 1958 when the painting, which miraculously survived the fire, was hung.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad