As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, May 14, 1964:
A 6-week-old baby and her mother were killed 50 years ago this week in a fire in their home in the Concord Fields section of Havre de Grace. Both were found dead from severe burns in separate bedrooms on the second floor. It was speculated that multiple gas cans that were found inside of the home caused an explosion which immediately ignited the second floor of the house.
Members of Calvary Baptist Church of Bel Air, on Route 1, obtained an option to purchase five acres of property in 'Shamrock" off Churchville Road to relocate their growing church. The Rev. W.P. Watson, pastor of Calvary Baptist, said the church was established in Bel Air in 1949 with only 53 members. The congregation had grown to 512 by 1964 and a new larger church facility was needed.
The People's Court, at 113 S. Main St., Bel Air, would move to the new county office building. The old Main Street location would soon be the home of a clothing store.
The Historical Society of Harford County erected a new picket fence around the Hays House in Bel Air. One of the oldest homes in Harford County was moved to its location on Kenmore Avenue in 1960.
A local motorist discovered a body in a stream along Moores Mill Road. After summoning the Sheriff's Office, it was discovered that the "drowning victim" was actually a very well constructed straw dummy clothed in a sweatshirt and pants.
The Home Economics Department at Bel Air High School presented "An Enchanted Evening of Fashions." Each model displayed the apparel she created which represented the accomplishments of their year's work in the department. The purpose of the program was to familiarize the public with the achievements of the home economics department.
A drive began to raise $6,000 for lights at the Edgewood High School football field. When the funds were received Edgewood would be able to erect the arcs needed to light their fields. Already under lights at their home fields were Aberdeen, Bel Air and Havre de Grace high schools.
Carolyn Bond Wright of Forest Hill was named as Miss Preakness 1964. The 21-year-old would reign over Preakness Week festivities climaxing with the running of the 88th $150,000 classic at Pimlico Race Track on Saturday, May 16.
Ground breaking for the first building to be constructed in the new Joppatowne Civic Center was scheduled for this week. A ceremony would be held at the site of the new Joppatowne Presbyterian Church. Initially the building would be used for non-sectarian community activities and religious functions as well as Joppatowne's Tinytown Day School and Kindergarten. Preforming at the ceremony would be the first appearance of the Joppatowne Choral Society under the direction of Tom Dix.
William Campbell, better known as "Tex," the traveling yard man, passed through Harford County this week on his journey around the country. Tex had been making a living sharpening tools while he continued on his 11-year bicycle tour. His journey was halted briefly when a vehicle struck his bicycle on Route 40 forcing Tex to be hospitalized. The 45-year-old San Antonio man began pedaling on June 6, 1953 and after a three-week rest in each city, he would take off to another. He raised money through handouts and sharpening tools and scissors which he advertised on a large box carried on the rear of his bicycle. The large box also contained mementos of his travels through 43 different states.