Fallston, Jarrettsville 'bees' were June beetles or Cicada-killer wasps [25 years ago]

From The Aegis dated July 21, 1988:

The "big aggressive bumble bees" that were swarming in Fallston and Jarrettsville were identified 25 years ago this week. Reg Traband, the county's extension agent, said they probably weren't bees at all, rather they were "June beetles" or large cicada-killer wasps."

The thousands of large black insects that terrorized the two communities a week earlier, whether they were the green beetles (which looked like an oversized Japanese beetle) or the shiny-black wasps, were not a danger to people.

"The beetles feed on tender plants and can often be seen flying over lawns where the females lay their eggs on highly organic material," Traband said.

The wasps, he said, are bullies that fly around and "act like they are going to sweep you away."

BGE was revamping its plans this week 25 years ago for a power plant on its 700 acres on the Bush River near Perryman. The company said it needed flexibility for the plant's design and was uncertain of future power demand growth, which was why the site was to be developed in staged increments with the maximum generating capacity projected between 250 and 400 megawatts by the end of the century.

The 400 megawatts was about half the generating capacity BGE had told officials it would need when the project to build a major fossil fuel generating station was announced in 1981.

The Bel Air Town Commissioners gave their blessing 25 years ago this week to the final plan for a five-level, 1,042-space parking garage in downtown.

The block-long garage was to be built by J. Vinton Schafer firm of White Marsh for $5,352,250. The county would pay 70 percent of the cost for 70 percent of the spaces, while the town would make up the remaining 30 percent and be guaranteed 300 of the remaining parking spaces.

It was viewed as the solution to the town's parking problems for the next few years at it would allow day-long and other extended parkers to store their vehicles off-street, leaving the on-street spaces for drivers coming and going.

The 40 or so residents of Brevin Nursing Home in Havre de Grace were dealing with the heat 25 years ago this week without many complaints, considering the nursing home wasn't air-conditioned.

"Older people react the opposite of people who are younger – say under 50," Jerrold Bress, part owner and administrator of the facility, said. "If you came in here you'd see many of our clients in lap robes and shawls...They can actually tolerate the heat better. It's being chilly and cold that is their problem."

The property in downtown Bel Air that had been home to "Betsy the Cow" was to be auctioned off in the coming week 25 years ago. She lived on property on Baltimore Pike owned by the late Glenn Deaton, who had died in April. The property was to be auctioned off by John O'Neill; Deaton named Betsy after one of O'Neill's children. The property was expected to bring one of the highest prices ever paid for land in Harford County. Betsy, who was 29 years old (106 in human years), was to live at the farm until the property was sold then would be moved to O'Neill's property.

R. Madison Mitchell, of Havre de Grace, was a guest of Gov. William Donald Schaefer 25 years ago at the State House. A print of the two of them was to hang in the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, where Mitchell was a living master decoy carver.

Cindy Bratkowski, a 1986 Bel Air High School graduate, was selected 25 years ago as Miss Rodeo Maryland, which qualified her to compete in the Miss Rodeo America pageant in December.

Despite never having roped a steer or "busted a bronc," the University of Maryland at Baltimore dental hygienist student was an expert horseman with ribbons, trophies and plaques and planned to impress the rodeo judges the same way she impressed the horse show judges during the last three years.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad