25 years ago: Peach Bottom power station shut down indefinitely

From The Aegis dated April 2, 1987:

The Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station just north of the Mason-Dixon Line from Harford County was ordered shut down indefinitely 25 years ago this week.

The shutdown came after theU.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commissionreceived a report that at least one operator in the main control room regulating the operations of two units had been observed "sleeping while on duty." The supervisor of the operator or operators allegedly knew of the sleeping incident but took no action.

"Our investigation has determined that we have enough information for us to take his action," a spokesman for the NRC said.

Shutting down the reactors began at 11:30 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, but it would take several hours before the plant was completely cold.

An estimated $31,000 in jewelry and cash were stolen 25 years ago this week from a home in Kingsville. The break-in on Brockton occurred between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. while the homeowners were gone. The thieves entered through a laundry room window on the ground floor, then searched the three-story house, coming across diamonds and a slot machine. Police had no suspects.

Harford County Executive Habern Freeman introduced his proposed budget 25 years ago this week for fiscal year 1988, which did not contain a property tax rate increase.

He proposed a spending plan of $140 million, an "unprecedented" 15.7 percent increase over fiscal year 1987. It included $12.8 million in "pay-go" funds for new government facilities, road improvements, school facilities, utility improvements and other capital projects without having to borrow.

Freeman said this proposed budget is the first one in five years that comes closest to his personal goal of making the county financially self-sufficient and not depending on expensive borrowing to build new government facilities.

Only two weeks remained in the Maryland General Assembly 25 years ago this week when Del. William A. Clark switched his political affiliation from Republican to the majority Democratic party.

The Dublin-area resident said he "reached a crossroads in my political career" and that his decision would "be the best for the people of Harford County" in the northern Harford County district he represented.

A sudden gust of wind and rain toppled a partially constructed townhouse in Edgewood this week, trapping a man for 45 minutes before rescuers could free him.

Thomas Allen Warfield, 38, was pulled from beneath the walls and rafters of the collapsed house in the new Woodbridge Center off Hanson Road. He was taken to shock trauma in Baltimore.

The trusty program at Harford County Detention Center was suspended by Sheriff Dominic Mele 25 years ago because of alleged inadequate supervision and legal problems.

The program was touted as a successful one that helped rehabilitate convicted criminals. The suspension came as a result of a recent incident involving one of the trusties, though no one from the sheriff's office would comment on the situation.

The two cases of rabid raccoons a week before brought the total number of rabies cases to 15 so far in 1987. One of the raccoons was found in Havre de Grace, the other in Fallston. A rabid cat was found in Delta, Pa., in early March and a young girl had to undergo rabies treatments after having contact with the pet.

Tollgate Mall took out a two-page spread to advertise its "Swing Into Spring" sale 25 years ago. Walker's was featuring half off its entire stock of athletic shoes, Sight and Sound was offering 50 cents off an film processing officer and Classic Carpets by Terry Snyder was celebrating is grand opening carpet sale.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad