Yield: 4 servings.
2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (breasts, wings, drumsticks, thighs)
1/2 teaspoon each: coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 ounces salt-pork fat
2 tablespoons butter
6 pearl onions, peeled
1/4 pound whole mushrooms, washed and stems trimmed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 (750 ml) bottle Beaujolais wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
2 sprigs fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
2 bay leaves
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Hot cooked noodles for serving
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Cut pork fat into 1/2-inch cubes and place in small skillet. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer on medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and pat cubes dry with paper towels.
3. Heat oven to 350F.
4. In large oven-proof pan, heat butter, pork fat and pearl onions on medium-high heat. When onions are golden, remove them along with pork fat with slotted spoon.
5. In remaining butter, cook mushrooms on high heat, about 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
6. In same pan, sauté chicken on high heat, about 2 minutes per side. Sprinkle the chicken with flour and place, uncovered, in the oven for five minutes. Remove chicken from oven and reduce heat to 250F. Add garlic to chicken and stir1 minute. Return pan to stovetop. Add wine and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add herbs, onions, pork fat and mushrooms. If necessary, add stock to cover meat. Cover pan and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
7. Remove pan from oven. Put chicken on shallow platter. Strain remaining sauce to remove vegetables. Discard fresh herbs. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as desired with salt and pepper. Ladle sauce and vegetables over and around chicken. Serve with hot noodles.
Recipe note: Chefs de France is the signature restaurant in the France Pavilion at Epcot. Make reservations by calling 407-939-3463. Check out thedailydisney.com for more recipes from the Walt Disney World resorts.
Send recipe requests to Heather McPherson, 633 N. Orange Ave., Orlando, FL 32801; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.orgCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun