May is Florida Beef Month and you can visit floridacattlemen.org to learn more. Here are some easy to prepare beef recipes for your spring menus:
Easy Steak Diane
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound beef shoulder petite tender medallions, cut 3/4 inch thick
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or onion
2 tablespoons brandy
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from skillet; set aside. Wipe skillet out with paper towels.
2. Press lemon pepper evenly onto beef medallions. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 1/2 of beef in skillet; cook about 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and beef.
3. Add brandy to skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Stir in cream and Worcestershire sauce. Add mushroom mixture; cook and stir until sauce is slightly thickened. Add beef; stir to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, as desired.
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
Tournedos With Pesto Crostini
Yield: 2 servings
8 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (approximately 1 pound)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
1/3 cup tomato paste
3 inches round, cut slanted into 8 1/2 -inch thick slices
Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
1. In large fry pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
2. Rub steaks with pepper, garlic and thyme mixture before cooking. Fry 3 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. One minute before finished, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of vinegar and salt. Remove from pan onto plate and keep warm.
3. In small bowl, mix together remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, pesto and tomato paste until blended. Toast baguette slices. 4. Spread slices evenly with pesto mixture. Top pesto mixture with beef and serve immediately. Garnish with thyme sprigs.