May is Florida Beef Month and you can visit floridacattlemen.org to learn more. Here are some easy to prepare beef recipes for your spring menus:
Easy Steak Diane
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound beef shoulder petite tender medallions, cut 3/4 inch thick
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or onion
2 tablespoons brandy
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from skillet; set aside. Wipe skillet out with paper towels.
2. Press lemon pepper evenly onto beef medallions. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 1/2 of beef in skillet; cook about 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and beef.
3. Add brandy to skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Stir in cream and Worcestershire sauce. Add mushroom mixture; cook and stir until sauce is slightly thickened. Add beef; stir to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, as desired.
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
Tournedos With Pesto Crostini
Yield: 2 servings
8 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (approximately 1 pound)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
1/3 cup tomato paste
3 inches round, cut slanted into 8 1/2 -inch thick slices
Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
1. In large fry pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
2. Rub steaks with pepper, garlic and thyme mixture before cooking. Fry 3 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. One minute before finished, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of vinegar and salt. Remove from pan onto plate and keep warm.
3. In small bowl, mix together remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, pesto and tomato paste until blended. Toast baguette slices. 4. Spread slices evenly with pesto mixture. Top pesto mixture with beef and serve immediately. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun