The biggest Orlando Fringe Festival fundraiser of the year is Monday, March 4, at Hard Rock Live. Hosting is Michael Winslow, "the Man of 10,000 Noizes" — you probably know him from those "Police Academy" movies.
A master of vocal gymnastics, Winslow can imitate more than 1,000 sound effects using his voice alone. I like this description of his skills from the Edinburgh Evening News: "A hilarious whirlwind of staggering special effects, astounding sounds and extraordinary noises."
Other entertainment includes:
• Fringe favorites The Mud Flappers, a seven-piece mini-orchestra featuring traditional acoustic instruments
• Local all-star band The Downgetters
• The Best of Fringe Dance with Yow Dance, Skill Focus Burlesque, Emotions Dance, Circus Arts Aerial Acrobatics, ME Dance, and Flemenca del Sol
• Cabaret duo Blue and Tod Kimbro
• The cast of "Piranha the Musical"
• Musical duo Laney Jones and Matt Tonner
• Senior vocal group The Downtowners
Other festivities include a silent auction and the unveiling of the 2013 Hard Rock collectible pin — designed by a local artist, only 250 are available for purchase.
"Fringe at the Hard Rock" begins at 6 p.m. Monday, March 4, with the silent auction; entertainment starts at 7.
Tickets are $20 general admission, $50 VIP. Call 407-351-LIVE or go to hardrock.com.
Hard Rock Live is at Universal CityWalk, 6050 Universal Blvd., Orlando.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun