Here’s your guide to the Orlando Magic’s season-opener tonight against the Denver Nuggets.
When: Tipoff is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. Where: Amway Center. TV: Fox Sports Florida. Radio: FM 96.5. Spanish-language radio: elorlandomagic.com.
Projected Nuggets starters
PG Ty Lawson (5-11/195)
SG Andre Iguodala (6-6/207)
SF Danilo Gallinari (6-10/250)
PF Kenneth Faried (6-8/228)
C Kosta Koufos (7-0/265)
Projected Magic starters
PG Jameer Nelson (6-0/190)
SG Arron Afflalo (6-5/215)
SF Hedo Turkoglu (6-10/220)
PF Glen Davis (6-9/289)
C Nik Vucevic (7-0/240)
Why you should watch:
• This is the Magic’s season-opener.
• The Magic are motivated to prove doubters wrong, and tonight’s game could set a tone for the season.
• This will be Jacque Vaughn’s regular-season coaching debut.
• Afflalo, Vucevic, rookie Andrew Nicholson and E’Twaun Moore should make their Magic debuts.
Why you shouldn’t:
• The Magic won’t contend for a title — NBA or Eastern Conference or Southeast Division title — this season.
• Magic big man Gustavo Ayón (sprained left thumb) and swingman DeQuan Jones (strained abductor) will not play, team officials said. Power forward Al Harrington (knee) will not play.
• Rookie Maurice Harkless is cleared for full contact after offseason sports hernia surgery, but it appears that Vaughn wants him to have a few more practices before Harkless plays in a game.
• Nuggets coach George Karl said Gallinari (sprained left ankle) will be a gametime decision, but it’s likely that Gallinari will play.
Nuggets scouting report:
Denver is a team that loves to push the ball upcourt, but the Nuggets struggled to convert transition opportunities Wednesday in their 84-75 season-opening loss to the Philadelphia 76ers. . . . In that game, Denver’s Ty Lawson, one of the league’s quickest point guards, scored 16 points and dished out seven assists without a turnover. . . . The Nuggets shot 38 percent in that game and held the Sixers to 35 percent shooting. . . . Iguodala scored 11 points on 5-of-13 shooting in his Denver debut.
Josh Robbins covers the Orlando Magic and the NBA for the Orlando Sentinel. You can reach him via e-mail at email@example.com and connect with him on Facebook at facebook.com/JoshuaBRobbins. Follow him on Twitter at @JoshuaBRobbins.