FSU defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt's departure to Georgia on Tuesday was somewhat of a surprise to FSU commit Jacob Pugh III, who said he now might consider his options.
The highly touted linebacker from Tallahassee Godby said he was "shocked" by the news but that he also had not heard from Pruitt since before the BCS National Championship Game, which he thought was a bit odd.
"It shocked me for a minute," Pugh said, "but I hadn't talked to him for weeks. The last I talked to him was right before the national championship game and we haven't talked since then so I knew something was up ... I had a gut feeling that he was going to get a new job, but it is what it is."
Pugh (6-4, 216), the No. 4-ranked player in the Sentinel's 2014 Florida Top 100, is the No. 5-ranked outside linebacker in the country by 247sports.com. Pugh said the only schools he would consider taking official visits to are Florida or Alabama, "but not while I'm committed to Florida State."
He also said Florida head coach Will Mushcamp and the rest of the Gators' staff have stayed on him even after he committed to the Seminoles.
"I talk to Florida all the time. I talk to all of them ... Coach Muschamp, Coach Lawing [Brad, defensive line], Coach Durkin [D.J., linebackers]," Pugh said. "It would be weird [to leave Tallahassee for Gainesville] ... I don't really know just yet, only time will tell."
For now he figures he's still likely to end up at FSU.
"Yeah, somewhat sure ... 80 percent," Pugh said.
But 80 percent still leaves 20 percent of wiggle room for a recruit that FSU has been high on from the beginning.
Pruitt has not reached out to him about Georgia just yet, but Pugh figures to hear from him soon.
"I haven't talked to him at all, but he'll probably call me sometime or another," Pugh said.
Pruitt, who brought defensive end and then-Alabama commit DeMarcus Walker of Jacksonville Sandalwood in with him last year when he left 'Bama for FSU, was instrumental in Pugh's recruitment.
"He had a lot to do with it. He's one of the main reasons why I committed myself to Florida State University," Pugh said.
Fortunately for FSU, two of Pruitt's other main in-state recruits LB Kain Daub of Sandalwood and DB Trey Marshall of Lake City Columbia are already early enrolled.
There are still others on the commitment list who could remain affected, as could one of the bigger fish still out there in the sea of the undecided.
Birmingham (Ala.) Hoover safety Marlon Humphrey was thought to be deciding between Alabama, Mississippi State and FSU, although FSU could be out of the picture now.
Humphrey returned a text message asking if his decision would be affected by Pruitt's demarture, reading simply, "Nah." He is ranked as the No. 6 overall player in the country by 247Sports.
Shortly after this story was posted, Pugh tweeted on his Twitter account @JakePughIII, "I'm still committed to florida state ain't nothing gone change!!!"
Florida State 2014 commitments (29)Early enrollees
RB Dalvin Cook, 5-11, 192, Miami Central
LB Kain Daub, 6-3, 240, Jacksonville Sandalwood
LS Stephen Gabbard, 6-3, 220, Tallahassee Godby
S Trey Marshall, 5-11, 193, Lake City Columbia
OG Kareem Are, 6-6, 335, Flora Park (N.Y.) Sewanhaka, via Fort Scott (Kan.) CC
DT Demarcus Christmas, 6-3, 285, Manatee
QB J.J. Cosentino, 6-5, 215, Pittsburgh (Pa.)
OL Alec Eberle, 6-5, 278, Mechanicsville (Va.) Atlee
DE Lorenzo Featherston, 6-7, 220, Greesboro (N.C.) Page
OL Ethan Frith, 6-7, 292 Summit (Miss.) North Pike
QB Treon Harris, 5-11, 180, Miami Booker T. Washington
TE Ryan Izzo, 6-6, 220, Sparta (N.J.) Pope John XXIII
ATH Malique Jackson, 5-11, 170, Jessup (Ga.) Wayne County
DT Fredrick Jones, 6-2, 270, Miami Central
DE Rick Leonard, 6-7, 260, Middletown, Md.
OG Corey Martinez, 6-4, 297, Tampa Catholic
DE Blake McClain, 6-3, 254, Jacksonville Sandalwood
WR Markell Pack, 6-3, 190, Purvis (Miss.)
LB Delvin Purifoy, 6-2, 228, Pensacola Catholic
LB Jacob Pugh, 6-4, 220, Tallahassee Godby
ATH JoJo Robinson, 5-10, 179, Miami Northwestern
OT Brock Ruble, 6-8, 315, Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha
WR Travis Rudoph, 6-1, 185, West Palme Beach Cardinal Newman
TE Mavin Saunders, 6-6, 220, Houston (Texas) Kinkaid School
DT Adam Torres, 6-7, 270, Lake Mary
RB Jonathan Vickers, 5-11, 2201, Tallahassee North Florida Christian
DT Dexter Wideman, 6-4, 244, Saluda, S.C.
DT Arthur Williams, 6-4, 280, Fayetteville (N.C.) E.E. Smith
WR C.J. Worton, 6-0, 170, Homestead South Dade
Chris Hays is the Sentinel's recruiting coverage coordinator and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Twitter at @Os_Recruiting and Facebook at Orlando Sentinel Recruiting, Instagram at os_recruiting and on Pinterest at Orlando Recruiting.