Lawyer Natalie Jackson wants her 14-year-old client cleared, his home confinement lifted and the potential felony false-imprisonment charges dropped.
Jackson's client — the teenager accused of trying to kidnap a toddler at a Burlington Coat Factory earlier this month — grasped her hand as she spoke to the media this afternoon.
"He's a 14-year-old kid who wants to go outside and play football again," Jackson said. "This is about one case and one boy."
The Orlando Sentinel is not naming the boy because of his age.
The teen and his mother, Mildred Roman, would not comment during the news conference.
He faces a possible felony false-imprisonment charge stemming from the June 10 incident when he walked out of the store with a 3-year-old girl, who he thought was lost.
A hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
The Orange Osceola State Attorney's Office said it is continuing its review and plans to present information about the case to a judge at the hearing.
The boy told Orange sheriff's investigators he thought the girl was lost inside the retail store on West Colonial Drive and was trying to help the toddler find her mother. The teen was shopping with his own mother when he tried to help the girl.
When the 3-year-old's mother realized the girl was gone, she walked out to the parking lot, grabbed her child, and then thanked the boy, reports show. Someone inside the store had already called deputies for help.
Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Tuesday his deputies did nothing wrong when they arrested the boy and that the decision to charge the youth is now in the hands of the state attorney.
No charging decisions have been made.
The boy "intended to do a good deed," Jackson said. "He does not deserve this scrutiny."
Sentinel staff writer Anthony Colarossi contributed to this report. Bianca Prieto can be reached at email@example.com or 407-420-5620.