Many Connecticut residents awoke Saturday morning to start the arduous cleanup in the wake of a storm that ripped though the state Friday evening.

Among the most damaged areas are Farmington and Wethersfield, both of which experienced intense winds, trees toppling into houses, and blocked roadways. Numerous homes in the areas of Church Street and Nott Street in Wethersfield were damaged by hail and falling tree limbs. One home on Church Street was sliced, nearly in half, by a large tree felled by powerful winds.

The town of Wethersfield opened the Pitkin Community Center as an emergency shelter Friday night. Police are advising spectators to stay away from town, as trees and power lines are still causing hazards. The upper parking lot at Silas Deane Middle School has been turned into a makeshift transfer station where residents can bring storm debris for pickup. Governor Rell also visited areas ravaged by the storm Saturday morning.

Farmington High School has also been opened as an emergency shelter, and the Tunxis Meade landfill extended its hours until 3pm for storm debris cleanup. Numerous businesses and homes throughout town were damaged by the storm. On Bond Street in Hartford's South End, several large trees were uprooted by winds and landed on cars and homes.

Towns in southern Connecticut were also heavily impacted by Friday's storm. The East Haven Police Department was struck by lightning shortly after 6:30pm. The Fairfield Police and Fire Departments also responded to at least seven calls related to lightning strikes.

More than half of Farmington and Wethersfield remain without power Saturday morning, and at the height of the storm nearly 40,000 people lost electricity. Along with many local businesses, Westfarms Mall was closed Saturday morning as Connecticut Light and Power crews worked to restore power. The mall reopened around 2pm, however thousands of other customers remain in the dark.

The University of Connecticut Health Center also experienced a power surge that knocked out electricity for several hours. A spokeswoman says the hospital's emergency generator kicked on instantaneously, and there was no disruption to patient care. Normal power was restored to the hospital by Saturday morning.