NOTRE DAME – Portions of the campus at the University of Notre Dame were evacuated Friday afternoon.
University spokesman Dennis Brown says a construction worker accidentally pierced a gas line.
It happened in the area of DeBartolo Hall, just west of the football stadium.
Brown says it wasn't safe for students or faculty to stick around, because you could smell natural gas.
Fortunately, that part of campus was pretty quiet before the leak.
"A Friday afternoon in late summer, probably not a lot, probably no students, no classes or anything to speak of, but it certainly isn't going to be like what it is during the academic school year," said Brown.
NIPSCO crews were called to cap the gas leak, and the utility issued a statement around 9:30 p.m. that repairs were complete.
No one was hurt.