NEW YORK (WPIX)—A teenager charged with killing WABC radio newsman George Weber, told authorities he stabbed Weber only once in the neck during an attack in Weber's Manhattan apartment.
John Katehis, 18, made the claim in a video statement hours after he was arrested nearly two years ago. Jurors in Brooklyn Supreme Court watched the video on Wednesday.
Katehis is charged with second-degree murder for killing Weber, 47, back in March 2009.
Police found Weber's body in his Carroll Gardens apartment with his ankles bound.
According to investigators Katehis and Weber met each other on Craigslist when Katehis answered the victim's ad looking for a partner for rough sex.
Things apparently got out of hand during their meeting which led to the fatal stabbing, cops say. Katehis apparently attacked the man after he drank beer and snorted cocaine that Weber had given him, according to testimony.
"The moment I saw the knife - I guess because of the coke - I got super paranoid," Katehis says in the tape. "I grabbed for the knife. We were both struggling over the knife...I freaked and I grabbed for the knife. He tried to yank back. It jabs him in the neck."
Prosecutors have argued Weber was found with more than 50 stab wounds. However, according to a report in the New York Post, a doctor testified that Weber was stabbed only eight times in the neck.
Defense lawyer Jeffrey Schwartz reportedly attempted to have the tape thrown out however last week a judge ruled the video could be presented in Katehis' murder trial.