MIDWOOD, N.Y. (WPIX)—An 8-year-old boy is dead and five of his siblings were injured when the two-story house they were in was set ablaze by candles meant to celebrate the end of a Jewish holiday and caused a three-alarm fire.
The children and their parents were hosting an outdoor dinner party for about 20 people for Simchat Torah, which marks the end of public Torah readings and begins immediately after Sukkot.
At 9:45 p.m., the children were preparing for bed inside their candle-lit second-floor apartment. Soon afterward, their parents, who were identified by neighbors as Jacob and Hannah Krasny and were outside having dinner, heard the youngsters' cries for help.
The kids' father frantically ran into the burning home and removed the children two at a time.
But despite his courageous efforts, he was not able to rescue 8-year-old Avigdor Krasny, who was last seen trapped inside his bedroom.
Firefighters rushed to the boy's bedroom and recovered Avidgor. He was transported to Coney Island Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Four of the Krasny's children -- 10-year-old Benjamin, a 7-year-old boy, 5-year-old Miriam and 3-year-old Yitzhak -- are listed in stable condition at Staten Island North Hospital's burn unit.
Their youngest child -- 1-year-old daughter Etil -- is listed in critical condition at the same hospital.